• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post Shock Treatment

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
I am glad your bird is fine and apparently not traumatized. I have a very well trained assistance dog who freely lives with my birds and has for over nine years now. He's a pretty large black lab and he and my birds co exist peacefully to the point where they are truly friends. My bird who cannot fly often has been seen riding around the house on the dog's back or head.
Thank you for your kind words.

Although my dog is not an assistance dog, i do feel that there is no problem having dogs co exist with birds as long as its with responsibility and care.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I always had a way of locking people and pets away from my birds even before I made a birdroom. It is much easier to plan for the future and get or buy those temporary fences for the openings into the bird area than it is to nurse an injured bird due to an accident; or to forgive one's self due to a fatality.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Accidents do happen ): the best we can do is to get sturdy cages and only have birds out with other animals away <3 it's best if you can have them in separate rooms of course but this is life, it isn't always possible, everyone should realise that. Personally, I'd make sure you keep your bird flighted so he has an easy escape and do your best to supervise, maybe a sturdier cage. Unfortunately, if we said you can't have birds if you have other animals, there would be many homeless birds. As long as you don't have a dog in the house actively hunting the bird (we had to return a cat for this reason), it is a huge risk with the bird cage. Do the best you can. Minimise risks as best you can. As long as you put the effort in, you're doing the right thing <3 hope your birdy is ok

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
Accidents do happen ): the best we can do is to get sturdy cages and only have birds out with other animals away <3 it's best if you can have them in separate rooms of course but this is life, it isn't always possible, everyone should realise that. Personally, I'd make sure you keep your bird flighted so he has an easy escape and do your best to supervise, maybe a sturdier cage. Unfortunately, if we said you can't have birds if you have other animals, there would be many homeless birds. As long as you don't have a dog in the house actively hunting the bird (we had to return a cat for this reason), it is a huge risk with the bird cage. Do the best you can. Minimise risks as best you can. As long as you put the effort in, you're doing the right thing <3 hope your birdy is ok
He was given to me clipped, as well as my parrotlet. He doesn't fly much. He prefers to hang out on my shoulder, so when his wings grow back I may just leave them be. My parrotlet is a different story though. Her wings have grown back in for a while now and I may have to get them clipped. Some of the ceilings in my house are extremely high and she can catch some serious air. If she decides to stay up there I will definitely not be able to get her myself.

So my clippings are for safety more than anything.....plus she likes her cage, so I only do the bare minimum to keep her tamed. She could stay in there forever and be the happiest thing ever lol.

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
I always had a way of locking people and pets away from my birds even before I made a birdroom. It is much easier to plan for the future and get or buy those temporary fences for the openings into the bird area than it is to nurse an injured bird due to an accident; or to forgive one's self due to a fatality.
I would do that but there is no way to 'lock' my birds in where they are. My mother and I do sit in that room quiet often. Its a relaxing place for us. Plus the fish tank is in there (all exposed water covere
d) So we are in there a lot. Now I could move them into the spare bedroom, but that would be awfully lonely since we only come upstairs to get dressed, sleep, etc....which is why we decided to put them in the living room.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
So glad you're bird is doing better.

I think one thing we forget is that dogs that haven't been raised with birds can react quite quickly and dangerously. We become relaxed as our own dogs can be trusted (as least they're not out to eat the bird) much more.

I've had some scary close calls, I think we all have here. So don't castigate yourself, just be much more careful with your Aunt's dog.

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
I am sorry this happened. You can buy a baby gate for less than $40 at most big brand stores (target, walmart, etc). You can also find them at children's/baby's consignment shops for less than $25. IMO the small cost of that is better than a vet bill. And there is so many uses for it. I have used mine: to keep friend's toddler out of my bird room (my bird room has no door, just a doorway), to keep an elderly dog with a leg injury from climbing stairs, to keep my little 4lb yorkie in the kitchen when the plumber was over, etc etc). Mine was a bit more than $40 because it is plexiglass and can be rounded to snap into a doorway, I bought it before I had birds to keep my ferrets in the rec room. My ferrets have all long passed, and are too predatory imo to coexist with birds but the gate does a fine job with my small dogs. My dogs grew up around birds and I agree that dogs raised around birds or trained to leave them be are "safer" than a dog not used to birds at all. I put "safer" in quotes because there is no true safety imo leaving a dog or any predator alone with a bird, I keep the gate on my birdroom and I watch my little pups like hawks when my birds are playing on their playstands.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Lots of dogs thought to be safe with birds have ended up attacking or killing birds.

I just read an account yesterday of someone with dogs and an African Grey. She kept all the dogs away except a pup who got along fine with the grey. They were friends. The dog grey up and had pups. The dog trusted the bird to be around the pups. She didn't trust the other dogs. Later the dog was spayed. Not sure if the hormone change played into it or not. The bird flew and the dog went into attack mode. The owner got to the bird first and kept them separate ever since. It could have gone much worse.

You will never forgive yourself if something you could have prevented happens. And you may not look at your dog the same either. Not worth the risk.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
What you have to remember is that any animal, no matter how well trained, can be unpredictable.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Animals are animals and have instinctual reactions no matter how well they are trained. I don't mean to offend anybody but saying that to have a predator and a prey species together is OK is irresponsible. I did full time rescue for 6 years (dogs, cats, birds) and have been posting in birdsites since they started and have heard and read millions of stories about dogs that never, ever reacted suddenly do it. I know a lady who has a 17 year old macaw. The bird lived with dogs his entire life and the dogs grew up with the macaw and never had a single incident. But one day, the lady went into the kitchen, the bird was on his cage and the dogs were sleeping in the family room, she heard a commotion and came running to find the bird had apparently jumped down and one of the dogs had pulled the macaw's tail entirely, she picked him up, put him in his cage and ran out to call the vet for an apt and, by the time she came back the bird had chewed his entire back and rump open! It took two surgeries and months of treatment as well as fitting the bird with a collar for it to heal but he never again grew a tail.

Accidents with animals do happen but they usually happen to people who become complacent and think they are in complete control of their animals.

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
Animals are animals and have instinctual reactions no matter how well they are trained. I don't mean to offend anybody but saying that to have a predator and a prey species together is OK is irresponsible. I did full time rescue for 6 years (dogs, cats, birds) and have been posting in birdsites since they started and have heard and read millions of stories about dogs that never, ever reacted suddenly do it. I know a lady who has a 17 year old macaw. The bird lived with dogs his entire life and the dogs grew up with the macaw and never had a single incident. But one day, the lady went into the kitchen, the bird was on his cage and the dogs were sleeping in the family room, she heard a commotion and came running to find the bird had apparently jumped down and one of the dogs had pulled the macaw's tail entirely, she picked him up, put him in his cage and ran out to call the vet for an apt and, by the time she came back the bird had chewed his entire back and rump open! It took two surgeries and months of treatment as well as fitting the bird with a collar for it to heal but he never again grew a tail.

Accidents with animals do happen but they usually happen to people who become complacent and think they are in complete control of their animals.
I agree. Even though my dog is gentle, I will never put it past her to be around Ash alone. She may not purposely try to hurt him of course, but he's so small compared to her that the wrong move can be fatal. Plus, dogs use mouths to play, so even a simple playful gesture can be dangerous.

He doesn't like her anyway lol. And she knows it. So they have no reason to be in close proximity to each other. He bites after her and goes into aggressive/protective mode.

These are my loves btw.

Ash.jpg 20140428_113126.jpg