• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possibly adding a Linnie to my flock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello, I am a new member here, hoping to get info from those that have Linnies in their flock. I have put a deposit on a baby that will be weaned in a couple weeks. I have heard so much about these birds that is great, but the more I research, I have heard so many folks have had linnies that have screamed excessively. I know every bird is different, they all make noise. I currently have 3 african grey parrots who do their share of noise! But? I am reading a lot about people who say that the linnies contact call loudly and constantly when hearing any noises around the house as well as when they hear the other birds vocalize. I know any bird has the potential to scream, but how common is this? I have always wanted a Linnie, always felt they would be a great addition to my home, but I just wanted to know if they are "known" for this as well? It isn't like I am inexperienced with bird behavior, I just want to be well informed. I had a cockatiel as a teenager who was the sweetest bird, but would call constantly for me throughout the day no matter what. He wanted to be with me, and that was fine, but the shrill loud call was constant, I had tried everything in my power to keep him occupied and comfortable, but he never stopped. If anyone could give me any info, I sure would appreciate it. Also, do they do well with a parakeet sized playstand? One that I could take room to room? Does anyone have a certain one they recommend? My bigger birds just love theirs. Thanks for reading my long post!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Bump. Someone with linnie knowledge should be here shortly.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have nine of them and they're pretty quiet for the most part. I have heard that they can get pretty loud as singles. My recommendation is to get two. They're extreme flock birds and do better in even numbers.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I've never had a single linnie. When I had my girls, I got them together and the boys came together(4) The girls would contact call if they were seperated, but it only lasted a few seconds. I've had the boys for a little over 14 months now and once in awhile they will 'scream' when they fly around the room, but it doesn't even last a minute and only happens once in a blue moon. Fynn will contact call the others if they don't go to bed when he's ready (if he's in the cage and they are not) even for Kye(they don't like each other)But, again, it doesn't happen very often and doesn't last long when it does.

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks to you all for the advice, I will have to think about this, I'm not really looking to add two more birds, just the one Linnie as I have 4 other bigger birds. I wasn't sure how the Linnie might be in my bird room, the big birds make their share of noises and words, nothing really constant, we are used to it. I didn't know if the noises of the others would have a tendency to cause the little Linnie to squawk, of course there is no way of knowing that before that! My caique occasionally contact calls loudly and gets a bit bad at times, I have to try many things each evening to keep him busy so he will stop.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Welcome to the Avenue, Bea. If you already have large birds, adding a small bird may cause problems. The larger birds could single the new little bird out for some really bad hazing. Most of my birds are all the same size: lovies, parakeets, cockatiels and Poicephalus. I also have one CAG but he is not interested in the smaller birds; as long as they stay off his cage! But I did have two Amazon parrots and they had it in for the little ones and injured them whenever they could get close to them. The hen Amazon deliberately went into the lovebird cage and killed one of the birds before I could get there to stop her. And she and the cock slightly injured another lovebird and two cockatiels, actually plucking them out of the air as the birds flew over them. I just think you should know it may not go as well as you think, brining home a small bird to live with larger ones.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have bigger birds as well, from an LCA at 300 grams to a chunky YCA at 600 grams and while I trust a few of them around the Linnies, I would never house them in the same room. The big birds are in their own space downstairs and the Linnies are upstairs although we occasionally bring a few of the bigger birds upstairs with the Linnies. I wouldn't recommend keeping the Linnies around bigger birds on a permanent basis as you may be asking for trouble. I honestly don't think one Linnie is much more trouble than two and they are absolutely adorable, but they really do need their own space, at least that's my thought on what I've seen. My CAG has gone after them a couple of times and I don't trust him at all around them.

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomesign: to the Avenue.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I have a single Linnie. If you had asked me a year ago, I would say that certainly some Linnies scream, as mine did. He could go for hours, day after day!!! There were times when I cried, and times when I left the house to get away from the sound. It must have been related to growing up, as now he is the sweetest, most loving, quiet little guy! I love him to bits!!!

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Good advice, I will keep that in mind! I could keep the little Linnie in another room, that wouldn't be a problem. My bigger birds all have their own playstand, they don't 'like' each other but stay nicely on their stand while in any of the rooms. I do realize that if I go through with the purchase of this little one, that when he is out, they will not be, and vise versa, and yes, I will have to watch closely that he doesn't fly over where they are when he is out. I closely supervise the bigger guys and we are always in the family room where the playstands are, so that shouldn't be a problem for us. It was mainly what I have read about the loud constant contact calls or screams as Sharon mentioned that worried me. I am used to the noises that my 4 make, and yes, they can really get going when they want to! But it isn't that bad, and I usually find them something to do, something to snack on, forage, etc. and that helps. I know there is no guarantee as to which bird will have a tendency to be noisy but I just want to make the right decision. I was also wondering if the noises from my bigger birds would aggravate the Linnie. Sharon's I am so glad that your little Linnie is doing well and it worked out for you! Sounds like a real sweetie! :)

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I have to say that Levi is my easiest bird. He gets his cuddle and time out when it's his turn, and he knows the routine. He's the cleanest of the lot, and now he is as close to perfect as it gets! It was a long time getting there though and I considered rehoming many times, but couldn't do it. There are many Linnies who are not as loud as Levi was. Levi is also afraid of nothing which is another oddity as far as most Linnies go. Have you tried checking out the Linniie Forum? There's one thing that I should mention... Your Greys may mimic the Linnie sounds if that's an issue. Fred sometimes did that, when Levi was screaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.