• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Lovebird Owner

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
Hey guys!
I met this extremely cute lovebird at Petland that seemed pretty interested in me compared to the other 6 in his cage; hopping up and down at me and climbing on the perches nearest to me. Even jumping on to the side of of the cage at me! :laugh:

The paper above his cage said that they were all hand fed, but I'm unsure if the workers socialize them daily. I'd really love to take him/her home but unsure if its a wise decision.. I also don't know how healthy he/she is due to not owning a lovebird (I'll try to post pics), although they come with a free checkup with the avian vet next door, I don't want to risk spreading diseases to the birds I have now after the quarantine.

Would they be harder to bond with coming from a pet shop, possibly living there for a month, or should I try contact a breeder (living in Honolulu by the way)? I'm having mixed emotions about this :o:

My main concern is the bonding and if there is an increase of difficulty since I won't be taking him/her directly after they are completely weaned.
:hug8:
(thanks for reading this lengthy post!)

[/URL][/IMG]
the lil cutie patootie
[/URL][/IMG]

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
i saw him and was greeted by this cutie! does anyone know what gender he/she might be?

Attachments

clarabear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Clara
what a cutie!! I don't know much about getting birds from pet stores, but I hope everything works out for you and the bird!

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Hey guys!
I met this extremely cute lovebird at Petland that seemed pretty interested in me compared to the other 6 in his cage; hopping up and down at me and climbing on the perches nearest to me. Even jumping on to the side of of the cage at me! :laugh:

The paper above his cage said that they were all hand fed, but I'm unsure if the workers socialize them daily. I'd really love to take him/her home but unsure if its a wise decision.. I also don't know how healthy he/she is due to not owning a lovebird (I'll try to post pics), although they come with a free checkup with the avian vet next door, I don't want to risk spreading diseases to the birds I have now after the quarantine.

Would they be harder to bond with coming from a pet shop, possibly living there for a month, or should I try contact a breeder (living in Honolulu by the way)? I'm having mixed emotions about this :o:

My main concern is the bonding and if there is an increase of difficulty since I won't be taking him/her directly after they are completely weaned.
Wow, that is such a cutie. :) Well, to answer your question, my bird was a handfed lovie from a pet store. Since your bird was so excited, I would think it's socialized and would make a perfect companion.
Definitely do the free checkup. It's worth it.
Bonding is not difficult, and since your bird seemed so excited, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I got my lovie when she was a little less than two months old, and she's extremely social. :)
Keep us posted on what you do. I'm so excited!

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
Wow, that is such a cutie. :) Well, to answer your question, my bird was a handfed lovie from a pet store. Since your bird was so excited, I would think it's socialized and would make a perfect companion.
Definitely do the free checkup. It's worth it.
Bonding is not difficult, and since your bird seemed so excited, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I got my lovie when she was a little less than two months old, and she's extremely social. :)
Keep us posted on what you do. I'm so excited!
Thank you so much for that comment! I feel pretty reassured this is going to be one amazing bird :joyful: :joyful: :joyful:

Updating...
I'LL BE GETTING HIM/HER TONIGHT! SO STOKED :laugh: :hilarious: :p :rolleyes: :smug: :smuggrin: (hopefully he'd still be there all happy and cute)

But there's a few downsides.....his feathers above his nostrils are a bit scattered and he has an apparent toe injury...is there anything i can do when i take him home?

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
Also, do you guys have any name suggestions for this lil cutie?

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
But there's a few downsides.....his feathers above his nostrils are a bit scattered and he has an apparent toe injury...is there anything i can do when i take him home?
Congratulations. :D Hmm, I don't have any experience with injuries, but... I mean, I would just watch your new little birdie to make sure it's okay and out of danger. Sorry I couldn't help more... :(

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
Congratulations. :D Hmm, I don't have any experience with injuries, but... I mean, I would just watch your new little birdie to make sure it's okay and out of danger. Sorry I couldn't help more... :(
No, that was amazing help! I'll be starting a new thread with his update!