• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Bumblefoot/Abscess

safa_dore

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
saff
Hi, I adopted a 5 week old sunconure, however after bringing the bird home I noticed the baby has some problems with his feet. On one foot one of the toes seems to have a scab like ring around it and is pretty swollen, it also has some other scabs around it. The other foot also has a toe that is slightly swollen. He walks fine and is active and eating alright. However when I touch these toes they seem a little tender. Im worried that this might be an abscess or bumblefoot. Can anyone take a look at these pics and help me identify the problem please?
IMG-20210228-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20210228-WA0005.jpg IMG-20210228-WA0007.jpg IMG-20210228-WA0002.jpg

Attachments

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm no expert, but it kind of looks like there was a small injury on the foot (maybe the toe nail was partially torn off?) and it was never properly treated, which has led to an infection. Let's see what others have to say though.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I’d bring him in to an avian vet. One of his siblings or parents may have nipped his toe in the nest and caused the infection you’re seeing now.

He’s much too young, are you hand-feeding?

safa_dore

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
saff
Thanks for the insight. Yes Im handfeeding, I do have some experience with hand feeding chicks and he doesnt seem to be having any problems there.

I contacted the seller and he said the chick was housed with another lori chick which might have caused the injury. He is willing to take it back but to be honest I dont want to return him, I feel like he would benefit more from one on one care. I do plan to take him to an avian vet tomorrow but avian vets are a rarity in my part of the world so Im just hoping I luck into finding a good one.