• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Positive reinforcement ain't just for the birds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Previous issues with Jasper have been all over these boards, so I'll not repeat them in depth. Short version is that my mom looked after him for five weeks and undid all my 'you don't have to bite hard to get your point across' interactions with the J-bird. That was back in summer. I've been crazy busy in my last :eek: year of vet school, so re-training that has taken a back seat to, well, everything. I've pretty much just been avoiding all situations where that would be an issue at all, which is at least better than practicing the wrong thing. This means I've had him step up onto my hand all of once in something like 5 months.

I've had time to breathe and work on it recently with the Jasper though, and it turns out that positive reinforcement training is at least as reinforcing for me as it is for him. I've been letting him beak my fingers more lately since I am more relaxed (me stressed = him stressed = less than ideal) and he's been good. He's pinched me a couple of times, but that has always been normal and something I'm happy to live with.

Tonight I was inspired by the folks here for some one-on-one time. :) :hug8: I sat on the table/play area and he came over to hang out next to me and get some scritches. We were both nice and relaxed so I grabbed some sunflower seeds, knelt down and put my arm on the table and asked him to "come'ere." He came over and stood by my arm and got a treat. Beaked my hand gently and got a treat. I upped the ante on him and asked him to "step-up"/lured him he got a treat and lots of praise for putting one foot on my arm. He wasn't concerned/overly excited by all of this and was putting good weight on that foot, but I was totally :dance4: inside. I asked him to move away (he did, got a treat), then we did the same thing again. He was so good and gentle and completely chill, just eager to get those seeds!

I am still :dancing::dancing::dancing:! I think this is WAY more exciting for me than for him, but it's super reinforcing. I know 90% of bird-dealing-with (or other animals) is the human element, so this is great for me to rebuild my confidence. I've had a bit of a mental deal with the whole bite-rather-than-step-up thing, which sucks because HE WILL bite rather than step-up if he thinks that a person is hesitant or nervous. How's that for a bird-owner combo, :o: perfectly at odds. Soon I'll be asking him to put BOTH feet on my arm. Crazy, huh?

Bonus picture of upside-down feather-butt bird

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sounds like wonderful progress.....he is sooooooooogorgeous

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
fantastic progress thanks for sharing

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
sounds like wonderful progress.....he is sooooooooogorgeous
I'll tell him you think so- he LOVES being admired. :D

fantastic progress thanks for sharing
Thank you! :hug8:

How nice to hear of your progress!
I'm glad we're making it.

Tonight he asked to step up! We had some cuddle and he let me smooch his head. We even had some beak-wrestling-play time, which I have been far too nervous to be comfortable with in ages. He was a perfect gentleman though and never even pinched me.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Jasper has stepped up for me a couple of times now, nicely, from his cage, without me having a treat or something else to stuff in his beak to keep it safely occupied! Yay for both of us! :dancing: He's also making his kissy noises at me again. :swoon: Is this why we love them?

Status
Not open for further replies.