• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers update following stroke.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Really good to read Poppers is doing so well now! What a great weight gain!! It's wonderful to see her upright. Sadly Chico who had a stroke is left with a very tilted head.
Awww man, poor chico! I've been doing studying, going through old copies of bird talk. Have copies that go back to when bird talk first started. And researched net on studies. Science daily is a good site where you can learn up to date studies and research on anything from all major universities.
Anyway, what's facinating, strokes and seizures can effect each and every bird differently and in various degrees. Some recover significantly, others not so much. It's complex believe it or not. The key is in how fast you can catch it and get it treated. Much like humans...the longer you wait, the worse the results are. I got lucky with poppers, even though she had combination of issues.
Her first episode resembled much of what Mary described with hank. The fluttering of eyes, the flying scared, the running in tight circles, the balled up feet. You experience that, go to get as fast as you can. I had to wait 12 hours as it was holiday. I kept her warm and hydrated.
The reality is poppers could have another episode at any time day or nite. That's the part that's hard to accept.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Does any of the vendors here sell gram scales?? Mine is going to heck! It's old and time for replacement.!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Have you thought about adding something tasty to the nasty meds. They added pina colada to the nasty anti botic he had to take one time and it made it easier to get him to take it because at least it tasted OK to him. Of course he fully trusted me and I'd just paste his face against the bars and squeeze it in real quick if he was being obstinate. He usually wouldn't bite me and quickly forgave me. Lurch would have tore me up, so he probably would have been towled, Dobby probably would be like Nerd, he's pretty laid-back and gentle.
Yea, I add a bit of mango baby food to it. Or carrot juice.
So, you squeeze it in real quick? I've always been told not to go quick because they could asperate. Especially if the crop, throat and esophgus is a bit inflamed from infection.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Amazon or eBay would be great places to find whatever style you want. I have a cheap one that seems OK but getting Dobby to hold still long enough to get a reading is tough. If you have the budget a custom one with perch would be ideal but spendy. I try to put a perch on mine but it's pretty small. I wish I had kept the pro level big gram scale I found at a garage sale years ago for 10 bucks. I wasn't even thinking about weighing Nerd with it back then, I wanted to weigh food and it sucked trying to convert to oz and lbs. If budget try to get one big enough for a small stable perch to sit on unless your guys will sit on it for you.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well if they're sick and fighting I'd put it in gently so as not to aspirate, but Nerd generally was not super sick and seemed to swallow it down quickly. Now the very last time he was very sick and he did have issues as he was super weak and about to leave me :(

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
YAY Poppers you go girl!!! Michael you know that you may have go back to regular food slowly right. Maybe a feeding of emeraid then bite size bits of her normal diet. If she gets pellets you may have to soften them first with a little boiled water and letting them sit and soften. Even if she is recognizing food she will need to transition to her normal diet.
Oh yea, I got that... Tried softening (slightly steamed veggies, sweet potato, cooked and mashed lentils, a piece of ap ple....man she liked that... Ate slow but she managed. She is nibbling a little seed, not much, but it's still early.
Pellets I put in blender to make powder and added a wee bit to the omnivore. And to get oat meal.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well if they're sick and fighting I'd put it in gently so as not to aspirate, but Nerd generally was not super sick and seemed to swallow it down quickly. Now the very last time he was very sick and he did have issues as he was super weak and about to leave me :(
That's good, how is nerd doing now? some birds it's much easier to syringe, others you have to battle with them...lol.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He left us just before Xmas 2009 after 31 happy years together to join his brother Ferd over the bridge. I now have Dobby, another Maxi Pionus just like Nerd, and had Lurch right after Nerd left us but he escaped due to a dumb mistake a few years ago and just hope a good family found him. Dobby is very happy ruling his kingdom here and my sister is his chosen one.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
He left us just before Xmas 2009 after 31 happy years together to join his brother Ferd over the bridge. I now have Dobby, another Maxi Pionus just like Nerd, and had Lurch right after Nerd left us but he escaped due to a dumb mistake a few years ago and just hope a good family found him. Dobby is very happy ruling his kingdom here and my sister is his chosen one.
Awww, sorry to here that. I lost my share of birds. Mainly from old age. Sparky was the last to go this past christmas. He was in mid 50's.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well at 31 Nerd was getting up there and was likely older as I got him and his brother Ferd in 78 as a matched set, almost certainly wild caught. They were adults and store guessed they were a couple years old. Nerd was the skinny, skittish, bad feathers and color bird, Ferd was the big healthy bird in great feather. Ferd got sick very suddenly a few years in in the afternoon and was gone by 8pm that night. Nerd and I mourned together and bonded and he was my best friend for the rest of his life. He had a wicked loud jungle flock call, never talked, spoke wild Pionus and we understood each other perfectly. None of my Maxis since have made exactly the same calls and noises he made, just similar. I was his world and was allowed to do almost anything to him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Does any of the vendors here sell gram scales?? Mine is going to heck! It's old and time for replacement.!

Walmart sells a good variety of gram/ounce scales and they are very reasonable. I have a perch on mine ,20 years old, and wish I didn't. Hard to weigh anything but a bird.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Walmart sells a good variety of gram/ounce scales and they are very reasonable. I have a perch on mine ,20 years old, and wish I didn't. Hard to weigh anything but a bird.

Thanks Mary....I'll check that out. Popping into Wal-Mart anyway to get printer ink.
Want to get a good digital one. Easier to read quickly. Mine is like the old bathroom scales..lol..
Round top, dial type indicator. Reads in grams but you have to strain to see it. And be fast, birds don't always sit still very long.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Michael 4 quarters makes 1ounce to test your scale:)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Our house is up the road a quarter mile
Behind those grain bins.
That was tooo close for comfort!!
  1. Michigan

wsgw.com - 3 hours ago

A funnel cloud over Star of the West Milling in Richville (photo courtesy of Doug Eckenswiller) Thunderstorms moving through mid-Michigan Tuesday, September 10 brought damaging winds, hail and rain, but fortunately not much else.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:so glad she's doing well. The oddness of her going to your wife may again change as she gets better and returns to herself a bit and her brain retrains itself. Add a bit of pomegranate powder to your cc. Mine love it like that. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
:hug8:so glad she's doing well. The oddness of her going to your wife may again change as she gets better and returns to herself a bit and her brain retrains itself. Add a bit of pomegranate powder to your cc. Mine love it like that. :hug8::hug8::hug8:
I didn't know they made a power form of that.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra