• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor News x2

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Tikka, my half-english Budgie who was in the flock of my "wild" budgies passed away on Feb 22. She was sitting at bottom of cage and vet had nothing more than "needs antibiotics" for her. She perked up after 2 days of being in a heated tiny box with food and water in wings reach. After a week, she was up and down but had a lot of good days. Then she began flopping around which... from what I've seen in past situations with birds means it's about their time to go with no chance of returning, really. She spent an hour cuddled up to my warmth in a blanket, slowly going downwards until passing away.

I obtained her from the local pet store shortly after Frosty and Noodle passed away - I knew my flock of budgies needed a fourth and she really reminded me of Frosty. I'm always going after the ones that are in poor health it seems. Her partner Olive sat at the bottom of the cage with the eggs she had laid before she started going downhill... absolutely heartbreaking.

///

The second news I have which is fairly sad but does not involve death and actually has an upside, is having to do with Pi - she is my Mexican Red Headed Amazon. Shes great! But I had a month thinking about where her and I stand. She is an amazing Zon - the most sweetest one I've met for sure. I have never encountered a day where she acts hormonally or aggressively as Amazons are - no matter her mood, shes always willing to come out, hang out with me, and ALWAYS eager to train. She loves me to the moon and back and the feeling is mutual BUT, I couldn't find myself getting over her scream. Like I said before, shes not a screamer. She doesn't sit and scream for hours. All it takes is 1 scream from her to ruin my mood. It's just the sound of it is absolutely awful on me. I don't understand it because I have two of the loudest species of Conures who scream most of the day and they don't bother me one bit (I even join in with their joy filled screaming sessions). It got the point where I am overly anxious about entering the bird room.
But the sound of my Zons scream is just too much. I had even trained her not to scream other than necessities sake (in the morning when she hongry) and she will also scream when I am giving another bird attention while shes still ready to train. None of these are an issue as themselves since they are totally natural reasons TO scream, but just the fact I cannot deal with her scream and don't want to live my life with every interaction with her being with headphones. It's stupid. I mean living with this feeling for the next what? 40 years? 50 years?

So here's where the "good" part of that news comes in. I've been training her for free flight and she probably would have been ready for her first outdoor session this summer but last month I contacted my freeflying friend to help me find her a new home. I thought this would take forever... I am picky, she is an amazing bird and I wanted her new owner to be committed to free flight already (whether they already have freeflying birds or wanted to start with one). I wanted to know them to some extent or for my friend to know them at least.

Coincidently, our free-flying friend who lives in the same state as us fairly recently lost their Amazon who was basically a male version of Pi personality wise! They also own an animal education business where they freefly their parrots and their raptors. It sort of worked out and while it was kind of crazy to get a "I found someone" notification the next day (I totally wasn't ready), it has made this so much more easier for me. I am welcome to their property anytime and when I get my other birds freefly ready they will be my closest partners to do freeflying meets with.

Sunday is Pi's moving day! I am having mixed emotions - I'm sad, but happy for her. Excited to see my training be put to use and completed with her new home. I'm VERY pleased with the prospects of her being used as an educational tool for the future betterment of parrot husbandry! I mean, this is the best case scenario for rehoming her!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry for your loss of Tikka. Sadly, pet store budgies don't seem to have long lives. And I'm glad thinks worked out with Pi.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Aww, I'm so sorry for you! :sadhug: I know how sad it is to lose a loved bird :( And as for Pi, I know it must be sad, but I am sure that she will be happy :) It sounds like she's going to a great new home, and it was probably the best option for the both of you. Don't feel bad about it!! I hope you will feel better soon! :)