• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor Frankie

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
My big boy is moulting like crazy.
Mummy is, of course, helping him with his pin feathers. He is going back and forth from just chilling out and dealing with all those feathers, or just calling for me to be with him. Dolly, of course, isn't happy about it, so I have to make sure she gets her grooming session in too.
Frankie was playing with a toy yesterday and OMG I wish I had my phone with me. He was on his back playing with it and rolling over again and again. I have never seen him do this by himself.
Funny enough two days ago, I had been saying "Rollie Pollie" to him which is my way of asking him if he wants to play on his back and get his feet tickled,which he loves; but he was too busy with his feathers to want to play with me. I was flabbergasted to see him doing it yesterday. :shocking:

Here is his latest photo.
20230711_160951.jpg

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :cool:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love it

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
He loves me again unril tomorrow when he goes for a nail trim at the vets. :unsure1:
I can't be in the room with him because I get so emotional when he is shouting out in pain. I go down the hall and I can still hear him. My poor baby boy :(
I was trying to get him to let me do them, but he wasn't having it.
So he knows he's going and hubby brought his carrier in from the garage. Tomorrow should be fun :(

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hope the nail trim goes well. He looks gorgeous---are you sure he's molting? :swoon:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Hope the nail trim goes well. He looks gorgeous---are you sure he's molting? :swoon:
Thank you and yes he is molting big time. I could make a feather duster with them all lol
He's been having me help him with his pin feathers most days. :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC screamed the first time his nails were done. The vet tech assured me he was fine.

Those girls were recognized. They'd step in the door of the house to do nails and WHAM the house would change. Secret started screaming "help me, help me"..... they'd laugh and actually recorded it once.

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
He loves me again unril tomorrow when he goes for a nail trim at the vets. :unsure1:
I can't be in the room with him because I get so emotional when he is shouting out in pain. I go down the hall and I can still hear him. My poor baby boy :(
So he knows he's going and hubby brought his carrier in from the garage. Tomorrow should be fun :(
Poor thing, POOR MOM! Ann you need to work with him so you can get him use to you doing it. It would be a lot less traumatic for him and you but it does take time and effort but it can be a whole lot of fun too!

I strap the little ones down and dremel their toes and then I file beaks if needed with a 60 grit nail file, Zack I usually use the dremel on his beak, he gets a snaggle beak on the left side, its due to how his beak comes together. When its all over they are all fine and step right up for me. My husband holds Heidi with a blanket over her head and I dremel her feet, she is very good and when it is over she is fine, she sits in my lap when I file her beak. Levi sits in my lap and I dremel his feet and file his beak. Both Heidi and Levi like having their beaks filed, weirdos!

Take a look at Zack's beak in this picture, See how his beak sits, see where I marked with the arrow, he doesn't grind far enough over to file it down and so his beak will grow high in this spot. I had just dremeled it for him and was about to file the rest of his beak. I am too lazy to load everyone up and cart them to the Vet for feet and beaks! I have had birds since before there were any avian vets or pellets, back in the dark ages when you had to do everything yourself!

Attachments

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret had taken to biting on her nails. Just really need one trimmed. Wonder if I could just use an emery board on it while she's in her cage and hanging on to the side.....

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MC screamed the first time his nails were done. The vet tech assured me he was fine.

Those girls were recognized. They'd step in the door of the house to do nails and WHAM the house would change. Secret started screaming "help me, help me"..... they'd laugh and actually recorded it once.
How much vocabulary does Secret have?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Secret had taken to biting on her nails. Just really need one trimmed. Wonder if I could just use an emery board on it while she's in her cage and hanging on to the side.....
That's actually what I'm going to try with Frankie. In his travel cage he's always clinging on to the front gate. That would be so easy.
And he can't "nail" me through it.
You have a good method :)

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Update please, how did everything go at the Vet?