• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop Shoot Shot

DewNutrs

Moving in
Real Name
Pamela Horner
Hi, I am new here but I am despratly looking for a way to help my baby, Nutters von McNugget, aka Nutters. I am a fairley new bird mom only having him for a little over two years. I need to give a little bit of background info to completely explain my problem so plz bare with me. I got Nutters from a pet store, so he was fairly wild. He must have been previously owned cuz he wasnt as wild as most are that you get from the pet store. He is so sweet and very well mannered. He was the 2nd of four I had gotten over a 6 month period. In chronological order of placement it went: Sticky, Nutters, Bullet, and "R" word. At first I kept their wings clipped and not once were they truely caged, but would roost in the pen on their own at night. I spoiled them as much as uyou could spoil non tame birds. Eventually I was able to tame them enough to where when they fluttered down to the floor, they would look for me to be their ride back up. but they still did not enjoy long periods on the finger. About 6 months ago, I decided to move to a different city. I dont have a permenate home but I do spend periods of years when I find somewhere to stay. I have no other pets. Ok, the move took me a total of a week to do cuz of all the stuff I have and I had to aquire rides to do this. Also, it took about 6 trips to get all that I could get with me. To ease stress on the birds, I decided to set them up with a baby sitter until I was comfortable in the place I was going to be bring them. I wanted to make sure everything was nice and safe for them being as how they were free flying. (By this time I had allowed them to grow their wings back out and they were used to being able to fly.) As much as I hated it, I felt more comfortable confining them to just their cage (which is a fairly good sized cage, plenty big for 4 birds) being as how they were going to have to be at the baby sitters home and she did not want them flying around. Heres where it takes a very bad turn. I do not know exactly what happened cuz I was not there but this is what I was told. The birds must have been singing and wouldnt be quiet when she wanted them too. From what I understand, the cage had gotten thrown all over the room, breaking the bottem of it then thrown outside. Sticky, Bullet and "R" word were no longer with me any more and I had thought I lost Nutters also, But I recieved a phone call from a friend that had cleaned up the aftermath (The girl no where to be found unfortunately) and his old lady happen to see something moving up under the airconitiner which was very low to the floor. Low and behold there was my Nutters, terrified beyond belief hiding in the only spot he could get to. He has lost his ability to fly. I couldnt believe I for two days I mourned the loss of my babies and serched high and low for the girl. I have yet to find her. I called me a ride and immedently rushed over to get my Sweetie. When I got thereThe friend who rescued him told me that Nutters had not uttered one note the entire time. This is when I found out that the incident had happened 4 whole days before I was told!plus the 2 days they went by before the friend could get in touch with me that made 6 whole days that Nutters endured this. They told me that they didnt know jack squat about the care of birds so what they did was gather up what could be salvaged of the cage, gathered up Nutters who, despite what had happened to him, was still very happy to see someone from what they told me. they went and bought some wild bird food not knowing that parakeets eat a certain kinda seeds and set him up as best they knew how. They told me he hadnt eaten one time and hadnt said one note the entire time. all he would do is hang on the side of his cage by the beak. When he seen me he livened up a little and I slowly and carefully transported him back home. cooing and talking to him the whole way. soon as I got him home I gave him his bird feed and he immedently began to eat and it wasnt long he moved to the perch. but anytime anyone would get close to the cage he would start shaking like a leave on a tree. For about 3 weeks I couldnt get him to say one word then finally he started making this sound. I swear to God he was crying. I knew he missed his flock and I tried to be there as much as possible for him, but alas, I'm just not a bird and he needed a birdy buddy or I was gonna loose him. So I went back to the pet store and picked out Dewey, a bright yellow rascal who I thought would be good for Nutters seeing as how Nuteers is not very colorful, being more of a grey and pale yello. He was pretty much at the bottem of the pecking order in the flock, but he was still in a flock, ya know? Anyways, it took and 2 or 3 days for them to get used to each other and start the preening and cleaning and all that other cute stuff the birds do. Nutters still hasnt gotten his ability to fly back yet but he is able to kinda floating downwards a good 10 to 15 feet. I think his wing mighta gotten fractured cuz when it rains he kinda acts like it bothers him but other wise he doesnt exhibit anyu other signs of being in pain. Here is my problem. Becuz of this (I am guessing) Nutters refuses to bathe. He used to take regular baths with his flock but since he lost them he just wont do it. And becuz he wont bathe, his poop gets stuck in his back feathers and builds up in front of his butthole and stops him up to where he cant poop. I try to clean it off but he is still very scared of ppl although I have gained his trust enough to let me just barely touch him but he wont let me touch it until I'm guessing he is in so much pain he has to let me clean it off. This has happen a total of twice and I would use cooking oil to soften The poop and pull it very gently off. But I had to fight tooth and nail to do this and I do not l;ike chasin him around cuz I know he is prob in pain and also it prob scares him. Eventually he will give in but it is ONLY cuz he hurts to much to move or is exhausted. I know if I could get him to bath, then he would be able to keep his backside clean and this would not continue to happen. Right now, I have a bath in the cage but they wont have nothing to do with it. I did the whole lettuce thing the misting thing, anything I could find on the internet. Can anybody give me any advice? It breaks my heart cuz he has gone thru so much, His butthole sould be the least of his worries. Please any pointers? I have attached as good of pics as they would let me get. 20221108_151311.jpg 20221108_151321.jpg 20221108_151346.jpg 20221108_151350.jpg

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
How long ago did this happen ...Most birds keep their backside clean by preening ..does he do this...He might need to see a vet maybe something got injured during the mishap ..as for his wing I would have him checked out to make sure he isnt in pain ..so sorry this happened to your babies :hug8:

DewNutrs

Moving in
Real Name
Pamela Horner
How long ago did this happen ...Most birds keep their backside clean by preening ..does he do this...He might need to see a vet maybe something got injured during the mishap ..as for his wing I would have him checked out to make sure he isnt in pain ..so sorry this happened to your babies :hug8:
Yes, he preens, and Dewey also helps keep him clean. He reaches back to his back side but he kinda acts like he cant quite reach where the poop is building up. it gets to where you can visably see him straing to poop and it will be close to a whole day before he will finally give in and let me do something about it. I dont like scaring or hurting him and when he was washing this would not happen so I'm thinking that all he needs to do is top start washing again. The incident that took his flock happened close to 7 months ago. but the whole poop thing only started about 6 weeks ago. within the six weeks, this makes the third time I am having to clean it for him. and I have searched all over the internet for help with this and finally found this forum. Im hoping to find someone who can give me some useable advice here. Like I said, I have tried the greens in the water trick, and the misting trick. He dont like being in the shower with me cuz the big water scares him, but i dont want to try to put him in a human sized bath with me. I just am at my wits end and he is such a sweet and well mannered little man. I hate he has went thru all this.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Poop shouldn’t stick to your bird even without bathing- this makes me think he’s either unwell in the gut or physically injured and sitting wrong causing the poop to stick to his feathers.

If you need to regularly help remove poop then he needs to see an avian vet, also if you do help remove poop then please only use water and don’t put oil on your bird or his feathers.

DewNutrs

Moving in
Real Name
Pamela Horner
Poop shouldn’t stick to your bird even without bathing- this makes me think he’s either unwell in the gut or physically injured and sitting wrong causing the poop to stick to his feathers.

If you need to regularly help remove poop then he needs to see an avian vet, also if you do help remove poop then please only use water and don’t put oil on your bird or his feathers.
I did know. I got that off of one of those bird videos on youtube. It said it would soften it and help him pass it. it also said to put some on his seeds, to get him to ingest it to lube up the digestive tract, but I have not done this ye. I was saving that for dire straits. is this useless advice as well? I really dont want to hurt my baby. Also, I am in an area where bird vets are not common and I do not have alot of money. are there any low cost bird drs in the south carolna area I might could take him to? also I would have to find someone who would take me. OOOHH! HE JUST GOT ON THE EGDE OF THE BATH! MAYBE HE WILL GET IN! Although he just seems to be drinking from it at the moment. Hes very active and does not seem to be in pain. but im not a bird dr so I guess my judgement is not to be trusted I will find one for him

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Youtube has its place but following health information for your bird from there is not something I would ever recommend unless it was an avian vet who made the video- As you would know, literally anyone can post anything they like on YouTube and they do not have to be qualified or even right, some of the most scary bird care information I have found has come from youtubers... some even with a really huge amount of followers

Water is all you should be putting on your birds feathers, it is all they need to keep them clean and healthy.

Oil for lubing the digestive tract is not something I would consider to be a good bit of health advice nor is it something I would consider doing to any of my birds if they were in the same situation you say your guy is in.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you get them recently? Are you in Ontario, Canada? Don't state where you are, just yes/no.

DewNutrs

Moving in
Real Name
Pamela Horner
No, I do not live in Canada. And Dewey I got as a compainion for Nutters after the incident happened. I have had Nutters going on 3 years, Dewey I havent had for 3 months yet. I will refrain from lubing Nutters up any further and greatly appreciate Your correction in treatment I was giving him. SMH. I dont understand why ppl would post things that they have no idea would hurt or help the little guys cuz they have to know that ppl are coming to the video seeking help. Knowing that makes a nasty sick feeling in my stomach. I wish there was a way to be able to punish such actions cuz theres no telling how many desprate ppl just trying to save their birds actually caused their death becuz of such videos. I have half a mind to return to the video and ask him to either correct it or take it down. As for an update on the situation: Nutter played at the edge of the bath for a little while, but ultimately still refused to take the dive. However, I should let it be know that he is very active and contiues to sing his happy songs and engages me in our "conversations" whenever I am close to the cage. I did finally throw in the white flag and as per your advice, got a rag heavily saturated with lukewarm water and got him on my hand and gently rubbed his backside until all the doo doo was gone. I noticed that the feathered area between his legs and around his butthole was kinda puffy but soon as the obstruction was cleared he immedently left me a "Thank you " I'm not sure if this would be any kinda important, but you can never tell, The dried up poop I washed off was almost a bright green color. almost like something you would see under a blacklight. and ( to me ) the poop he immedently vacated didnt seem to have the right white goo/brown or colored goo ratio to it. I'm not sure if the ratio fluxuates but I'm putting that out there in case some one might reconize it as something I should worry about. I have been on the internet all day searching for birds vets in my area that are low cost or have a sliding scale for low income families. maybe even a grant. This could havwe happened at a worst time being as I am in between jobs atm. I feel so connected to this little bird cuz we both had had our asses handed to us in life, and I refuse to give up on him. Hes my reminder every day that when the world tries to take you out, you gotta puff up your chest, wiggle a tail feather , and take flight. Hes my bestest ;little buddy. Hes a ladys man. I have attached updated pics. you cant really see his back side very well, but he dont like me taking pics of his butt and putting them on the internet. 20221109_214354.jpg 20221109_214400.jpg 20221109_214513.jpg 20221109_214528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, it's good that you're not in Canada. There's something going on with birds, particularly budgies, in my area right now.

I wish I could help more. They're both beautiful budgies. :)

DewNutrs

Moving in
Real Name
Pamela Horner
no, I live a good little ways from canada, but still on the same continent. what is the ailment affecting the budgies and symptoms and treatments, if any just in case it decides to take a vaca down south? It would be great if I could get an immedent jump on it if it happens to come my way

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No idea. Sick birds have been sent for testing. Mine aren’t involved.

DewNutrs

Moving in
Real Name
Pamela Horner
I am very pleased and happy to report that after cleaning the obstruction from his bottom, Nutters has made a complete recovery and it loving life! Does anybody have any advice to keep this from happening again? Cuz this makes the third time it has happened, and there was one comment made about how poop shouldn't stick to they're feathers. Could this be fixed with a diet change or something? any advice is most welcomed!!!!