• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
hi,

We have a green cheek, about 8 months old now.

When my wife and I are getting ready for work we let him out of his cage. We have a wooden perch attached to the cage and he likes to sit on it.

We keep newspaper on the floor right under this perch. He always poops immediately when we let him out. And the poop is huge.

This is repeated when we get home. Huge!

We change the paper in the cage daily. There are usually a few poops on the paper and they are "normal" size poops.

he obviously doesn't like to poop in his cage and "holds it" for long periods of time.

Can this hurt the bird or otherwise be detgrimental to his health?

Thanks.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
As far as I know, as long as he is going several time during the day, he should be ok. The morning thing is normal, all of my babies conure-sized and up do that.

I would think as long as he is pooping more than these two times a day he's ok, but maybe someone with more knowledge will come along.

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Risa has a very large poop first thing in the morning too.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
large poop in the morning is normal - even for wild birds - they don't normally (at least wild birds) poop where they roost

but most companion birds do - some don't like it, some don't care though

but as long as the bird is not being taught to hold it and only go in certain areas, and he is pooping while no one is home he should be fine.

its "potty training" that is harmful, because then they will ONLY poop in the designated area and no where else and this causes a lot of health problems.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
Most of my conures never poop in their cage. They always wait until they wake up and are uncovered. They do not like to dirty their house, so to speak. If he is pooping on his own then I am sure he will be fine. As said above, a poop trained bird is not a healthy bird.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cool1: It's perfectly fine. Most parrots don't like to poop in the area that they sleep in.
As long as he is doing this *willingly and freely* on his own, I wouldn't worry about it.:)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Ive noticed Prudence wont Poop while she is ON ME. I have to be conscience to take her back to her stand or cage frequently in order to ensure she is going. Though she is not a conure, it might relieve you to know many birds have poop preferences, and its not always bad as along as you are conscience of it. Maybe ensure you can take him out more often to use that perch.

Status
Not open for further replies.