• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop changes prior to laying eggs?

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Good evening everyone,

I have a female cockatoo who is now very hormonal. She has been masturbating every other day, going to the bottom of the cage up and down. Chewing on wood, recently she her poop changed, it has gotten smaller or watery and it has bubbles. I feed her pellets, veggies and nuts. I scrub and clean the bottom of the cage everyday with vinegar. There are no other pets at home.

the big poop was the morning poop of today. She went from 545 to 570 on empty stomach. She has been gaining weight .

I will mention that I have been putting her to sleep early sleeps 14 hours also. I did her nails the other day and one nail was bleeding I put a bit of styptic powder on it and she licked it. Not sure if that would have to do with the inconsistency of her poop. What worries me are the bubbles in the poop and inconsistency.

I am sorry of the picture collection of poops.
Any insight will be helpful.
Thank you

Attachments

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I do give her Nutri-Berrie or safflower seeds every 3 months

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
I have not given any veggies for the last two days. This poop is from today and from a day after I had stopped giving her veggies or fruits.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
There is a lot of excess liquid urine in most of these. The urates are stringy.. definitely don't like the bubble ones ...
Poops can get weird before an egg, but I would probably get a vet check as I would be worried about some sort of infection.

I don't have tiels , and not familiar with what their normal poop looks like. For mine all of these I would consider abnormal

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
There is a lot of excess liquid urine in most of these. The urates are stringy.. definitely don't like the bubble ones ...
Poops can get weird before an egg, but I would probably get a vet check as I would be worried about some sort of infection.

I don't have tiels , and not familiar with what their normal poop looks like. For mine all of these I would consider abnormal
I will definitely take her but they don’t have anything this week. The appt is for after next week.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla

My umbrella cockatoo is very hormonal. I had to put a dummy egg . I found her sitting on top of it tonight .

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Good luck, keep us updated.
Other members with cockatoo, and cockatoo experience , and egg may still find your post and have thoughts to add.
My mind is blanking on our members who deals with eggs and hormones

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
@Icey has experience

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Other members with cockatoo, and cockatoo experience , and egg may still find your post and have thoughts to add.
She already laid an egg last year. I do know what the poop looks like after the egg. It was very watery it looked similar to this one . But I don’t remember what the Urates looked like and if it had bubbles. I am going to store this pictures for the future, so that I remember. I hope someone with a cockatoo can tell me. I have search all over the internet for post about cockatoo’s poop in particular and couldn’t find any.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hopefully @Icey as some info to help you I know dolly as laid before

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. For my cockatoo her poop went from light brown to green. Now that may be because I changed her pellets recently. And there was definitely more liquid than before, which is normal. There were no bubbles. If you're seeing them, it may be a good time for a vet check up as it may be a sign of illness. I would definitely keep an eye out for any changes in her.
I'm not sure if giving her a dummy egg to sit on before is good, if she's not laying yet. They do usually lay 1-2 eggs, so that may not deter her from laying. I may be wrong.
I would continue with the veggies. They are more nutrtional than seeds. If anything, try to stck with only a few seeds, but mainly veggies and pellets, if she eats them.
@JLcribber, @Toy may be able to offer expert advice.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Hi everyone thank you so much for responding. My cockatoo just laid an egg. And this is her poop now. There are no bubbles . Still will get her checked. I hope this helps other members .

Attachments

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes the poop changes when they are ready to lay an egg, including bubbles. I high recommend you get & give her liquid calcium. Jasmine (U2) lays eggs a couple times a year. This last time she was egg bound with 2 eggs. Vet saved her life. A week later she prolapsed. Vet said to give her calcium per the instructions on the bottle. This is what I'm giving Jasmine: https://www.chewy.com/morning-bird-...MIx_f2xo6rhAMVmHJHAR0j4gFqEAQYAiABEgJhNfD_BwE I give it via syringe into her beak 5 days a week. Vet said it can help prevent prolapse.

Offer a well balanced diet of veggies, pellets & a little seed. Remove real eggs & replace them with fake eggs. Let her sit on them as long as she wants.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Thank you so much for your recommendation. I just purchased the calcium. I gave her veggies this morning. Prior to laying the egg she didn’t want to eat any vegetables. But today she did. I usually give her mix vegetables with quinoa the vegetables include split pea, carrots and sometimes raw broccoli. I do sprinkle chia seeds, hemp seeds and flax seed powder mix with her vegetables a couple of times per week.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Hi Pixiebeak,

Do you know when female Quakers start to lay eggs?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much for your recommendation. I just purchased the calcium. I gave her veggies this morning. Prior to laying the egg she didn’t want to eat any vegetables. But today she did. I usually give her mix vegetables with quinoa the vegetables include split pea, carrots and sometimes raw broccoli. I do sprinkle chia seeds, hemp seeds and flax seed powder mix with her vegetables a couple of times per week.
Often they cut back eating a few days before laying an egg.

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
That is what happen to her. She barely ate. Her poop was so tiny. I started to panic. A she went from 545 to 570 in empty stomach at night she would weight 593 grams. On Sunday she looked down with ruffle feathers not doing much . She was constantly going up and down to the bottom of the cage for a couple of days. My friend came over in Sunday and noticed that she was a little strange.
I started to give her probiotics today also.
My previous bird died a year ago I got her already sick, and I am now a bit paranoid.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi Pixiebeak,

Do you know when female Quakers start to lay eggs?
My memory is terrible these days ..I think started in May last year...my Pikachu laid her first in July at six years old ( about) and I had egg binding emergency with her( required treatment and antibiotics...so scary .....then she laid a second a couple of weeks later while I was out of town on emergency with my mom.. thankfully she laid it with no issues ! Her buddy Phoebe laid her first egg before she was six months old ! Skipped a year, had a couple of eggs the next year. Then last year ....I think she laid 12 total...spread out over a few months ughhhhhh!

Those new poops look great! So glad !

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
That is what happen to her. She barely ate. Her poop was so tiny. I started to panic. A she went from 545 to 570 in empty stomach at night she would weight 593 grams. On Sunday she looked down with ruffle feathers not doing much . She was constantly going up and down to the bottom of the cage for a couple of days. My friend came over in Sunday and noticed that she was a little strange.
I started to give her probiotics today also.
My previous bird died a year ago I got her already sick, and I am now a bit paranoid.
If you have blood, straining, weakness, shivers or trembling or fluffed or anything do take it seriously, egg binding is a true emergency. And often after having trouble and delayed laying they can get an ascending infection that can become life threatening if not treated .

Thankfully most are going to lay their eggs without issues, especially if on excellent diet . But it is always stressful to us !