• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Polyoma vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I was curious how many of you get your birds vaccinated?
I heard Caiques are one of the few birds that can get it as adults, so I'm curious if I should vaccinate?
I don't trust any of my avian vets, so I don't want their opinion as they just want to squander my money!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my vet doesn't advise it, but does it for me every year (only the caiques) because my breeder Gloria Balaban of ShadyPines Aviary said it is required for caiques. We go this tuesday. It MUST be given subcutaneously, not intramuscularly.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How often do you or your birds encounter and spend time with other birds?? If not then the chances are low of contracting anything.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
This just came up on another thread. It has been pretty much proven that Caiques and Eclectus, as adults, do not die of Polyoma in and of itself, but as a secondary issue. The birds that have been in question were also found to have PBFD. I used to vaccinate my greenies every year but stopped after I read all the research done on the subject. My guys also never come in contact with other birds, so it's really just not much of an issue for me. I do highly believe in buying baby birds that have have been vaccinated for it though.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I have only recently been hearing about this a lot, and asked my vet. She said she does not require it for boarding, but does require other blood and fecal work. She said if you go to bird shows and stuff (which she does not advise) then you should do it. I did not get my birds vaccinated, but I don't go anywhere where there are other birds. I go to the beach, the flea market, and other outdoor shopping areas.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
I don't get it done but my first Meyers came with it done. He's now in birdy heaven. :( No saying it's the vaccine.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
None but Opa ever had it done. He had two series done, when he was just a baby. I personally won't have my birds get vaccinated.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
My birds only see my friend's GCC who i know is disease free.
Besides that, that's it lol.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
both of mine get vaccinated for it as part of their annual workup.

patdbunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roz
I don't vaccinate and I've never encountered polyoma (knock on wood).
For those of you who do annually/are considering vaccinating annually, there's discussion in the dog community that brings up - healthy humans aren't generally vaccinated annually, what makes us think that animal vaccines are only good for one year if human vaccines last longer? Also, I have concerns with regards to what the carriers are. I'd think animal vaccines are going to be less "pure" than human vaccines. I also have concerns regarding vaccinosis. Can titers be run on birds as in dogs and cats? Also, in cats there are revised vaccine protocols to vaccinate distally in the limbs for later amputation due to vaccine cancers at the injection sites. I find that extremely distressing - we don't know long term effects of bird vaccines. I don't know if it would be useful to look towards vaccinated poultry as poultry's destroyed long before their full life cycle's reached.
Just some thoughts.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
I never had any of my birds vaccinated in the past 30 years, nor have I ever encountered the disease. I would add that I do not allow my birds to mingle with others:lol:, for example, I do not take them to pet bird clubs and the like where they could be exposed to things, I do not shop in any store, flea market or other establishment that sell or trades in birds so that I do not bring home avian diseases on my feet, clothes or purchases, any any new birds that come into the flock go through strict quarantine procedures before being introduced to the existing flock.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I honestly would not bother with the vaccination if you don't own an Eclectus or a Caique and even then, research is showing that these birds are probably not dying of Polyoma alone as adults but are immuno-compromised. I agree that we tend to over-vaccinate our pets and even ourselves in some instances. You couldn't pay me to get a flu vaccination and I haven't had the flu since 1981. You have to remember that this is only a fatal disease in baby birds and older birds who are immuno-compromised and possibly adult Caiques and Eclectus but the jury is still out with those two. I have Eclectus and stopped vaccinating for it years ago. All of my birds were vaccinated for it either as babies or adults when I brought Cooper home. The only two I have who I'm not sure about are Amarillo and Clancy and since they are also adults, I'm not worried. Any baby I bring into this house will be vaccinated for it to protect the baby not my adult birds.

I also wanted to add that like Robin, my birds are never around any other birds. I don't take them places other than the vet either.

linus69

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Paul
My Avian Vet is dead against, when I pushed her because my bird is a caique she checked with her Avian Vet professor/expert from Vet College and the answer was still a firm no. I love this vet and trust her completely so I don`t have it done.

patdbunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roz
My Avian Vet is dead against, when I pushed her because my bird is a caique she checked with her Avian Vet professor/expert from Vet College and the answer was still a firm no. I love this vet and trust her completely so I don`t have it done.
I can respect that. Did she give you specifics as to why?

linus69

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Paul
It was basically she felt that the risks outweighed the rewards, I was asked if I ever board or show my bird and if she is ever around other birds, the answer to all was no.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I do not vaccinate my birds- dogs or cats. I do however vaccinate for rabies for the dogs per State Law but get a 3 yr vaccine. My Mealy came from his breeder with this vaccine done. My Avian Dr. Gregory Burkett suggests having it done. He said outside birds can carry this and my birds do go outside.

I would think more personal preference to have it done. Now titer testing is something I did back with a few years ago with my one dog. I feel that vaccines are effective more than they say that they are. We build immunity against alot of diseases. It is like us Humans we get our first round as babies and then through Adult life we never get them again aside from tetanus or the flu shot. I for one do not get a flu shot I think I got it one time in my living life of 40 yrs.

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
It has been a while since this thread has been addressed and I was wondering if anything has changed. I was looking at a local breeder that sells caiques with the polyoma vaccination. (Two shots I think) I would like opinions on the subject if any new information has surfaced recently. Would anyone consider asking the breeder NOT to give the injections? Just curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.