• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Polyoma Vac question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeygirl

Meeting neighbors
Hopefully someone will know this because I can't find it online anywhere in all the articles I read. If a bird is exposed to polyoma in the aviary and only becomes a carrier, if that bird is vaccinated, is it still a carrier or not?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most time when birds become infected with polyoma is when they are very young. It is usually fatal at this time. If the bird was exposed and is a carrier,it can shed the disease at any time. It is also more suseptible to illnesses itself. I believe that vaccinating can deter the disease even i the bird is a carrier. I wil investigate and get back to you. Hopefully someone will come along with more info.
Is this happening to your bird? How old is it?

Here you go-From Birds N Ways site:
What is a "Carrier"?
It is occasionally suggested, albeit incorrectly, that the avian polyomavirus vaccine is of limited value in adults because it does not eliminate the "carrier" state. The term "carrier" is frequently and loosely discussed in association with polyomavirus infections in companion birds. By definition, a carrier is "an idividual who harbors a specific organism and is capableof transmitting the infectious organism that can cause a disease but shows no clinical signs". This is a simple definition for a rather complex interaction between infectious organisms and their host. It is a particularly simple definition with respect to avian polyomavirus. In scientific literature which discusses viral infections, the term "carrier" is rarely used. In its place, the term "persistent infection" is used to describe animals that are infected with a virus, shed the virus for an extended period of time and exhibit no easily observed clinical signs. There are then two types of persistent infections: latent infections and chronic infections, and the characteristics of each must be understood when evaluating how to prevent avian polyomavirus infections. The characteristics of these infections are listed in <A href="http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/polyoma.htm#table2">Table 2.

A common example of a latent infection is the herpes simplex virus that causes "cold sores" in humans. Once an individual is infected with this virus, he remains infected for life and intermittently sheds the virus. More than 10 years ago, it was demonstrated the budgerigars infected with avian polyomavirus develop a latent infection (infected for "life" with intermittent shedding of the virus). Fortunately, an increasing body of information suggests that larger psittacine birds (as well as mice and chickens) infected with polyomavirus are more likely to develop transient, rather than latent infections. These transiently infected non-budgerigar psittacine birds may shed the virus for a certain period, but they appear able to mount an appropriate immune response which controls the infection and eventually stops the bird from shedding the virus. The most important consideration for preventing polyomavirus within a flock is to reduce the opportunity for these temporary shedders to infect other birds.. Toward this end, vaccinating a flock helps to protect uninfected birds from the virus and inhibits the amplification of virus activity through the susceptible birds within a flock. Additionally, the polyomavirus vaccine has not been shown to have any adverse affect on a bird that has already been infected with the virus, making flock vaccination both practical and safe.

The propensity of non-budgerigar psittacine birds to develop transient polyomavirus infections is critical to control of the virus within an aviary. By vaccinating the breeding birds, the cycle of transmission can be reduced, and over time, it should be possible to functionally "eradicate" the virus from a particular aviary. Even if non-budgerigar psittacine birds were to develop latent infections, vaccination may still be a valuable method of preventing disease. Vaccination programs in other species (humans, cats, dogs, cattle, etc.) have been very effective in controlling many viruses that are known to cause latent infections.

Because budgerigars respond differently to polyomavirus infections than do non-budgerigar psittacine birds, the recommendations for controlling infections in non-budgerigar psittacines may not apply to budgerigars. Research is currently under way to determine how to effectively vaccinate budgerigars for polyomavirus. It is important that unvaccinated psittacine birds not come in direct or indirect contact with budgerigars.

Last edited:

whiskeygirl

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Greycloud. I do not have this problem...and I don't want to. I am getting a baby B&G and want to make sure I do everything right with the 2 birds I already have and the new baby.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Hi Whiskeygirl make sure you quarantine your new baby once you've got her in that duration you need to go ahead and establish a well bird check up with your vet. Your vet will be able to advise you on getting the polyoma vacc. for your new baby.

Good luck!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Have you tested your current birds for polyoma? That's the best thing to do. There are two tests for polyoma. One that tells you if the bird is currently shedding the virus and one that tells you if the bird has ever been exposed. This should be a test performed on every bird that comes into your house. Once you know the status of the birds in your house and you are sure that they are not shedding the disease and have never been exposed, if you always make sure to do these tests on incoming birds, there will never be a question as long as you keep your birds away from other birds. Personally, I would also make sure that the baby is polyoma vaccinated by the breeder but some don't think this is needed and I would get the baby vet checked even if the breeder has done so. This sets up a baseline with your vet for your new bird.

whiskeygirl

Meeting neighbors
Thanks crzybrdldy - by quarantine, just exactly how quarantined? I have a small house and my other 2 birds are all over the place. Like in a bedroom with the door closed, is that enough? This takes me back to my orig question...lets just say this new baby was a carrier. If my other 2 are vaccinated and the new baby gets vaccinated, then the new baby is no longer a carrier?

whiskeygirl

Meeting neighbors
Thanks jmfleish - You have a good system there. I am waiting for my vet to get back to me about what he thinks too. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I learned the hard way a while back that I didn't have to vaccinate my adults if I was careful with the new birds that I brought in!:) I'm not a big vaccination person, but the Polyoma vaccine is one I believe in, especially for babies and for birds that are going to be around a lot of other birds who you don't know the health of. If you know the health of your birds though and you know they're negative and they don't come in contact with other birds, then I personally see no reason to vaccinate them.

whiskeygirl

Meeting neighbors
Ok, i need to make sure the new baby is vaccinated then. I hope the breeder isn't lying if he says he vac'd the bird.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok, i need to make sure the new baby is vaccinated then. I hope the breeder isn't lying if he says he vac'd the bird.
The breeder should supply you with a certificate that tells you when the vaccination was done. It's a "two shot" deal...about two or three days apart, I can't remember, it's been so long since I've had a baby in the house!:) Good luck!

whiskeygirl

Meeting neighbors
When the breeder does the vac himself, then the certificate can be made by him. I am worried about quarantining, like if i dont do it right...i'm going to get my eclectus a booster since he was already vac'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.