• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pois- "Apartment birds?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
For the most part I've heard that senegals have small voices; that they may "be suitable as apartment birds."

Shoot it to me straight though... what does a Senegal's call/screams sound like? Is it the kind of thing that's sure to have the neighbor's pounding on the walls? ((This isn't for my home obviously, as Tiki's calls are far from "apartment appropriate." :D ))

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I know nothing about how loud they are but I am sure someone will be here to help you soon.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Have a red belly, and he is the perfect apartment bird!!!:hug8:Quiet.
And when he does have his occasional tantrum, it is not loud.:D

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Well im in a seniors apt and they do not alow parrots ha ha im in now toss me out . But i have to say mangos not to bad in fact if with me very quiet screams a bout 3 minitus when i go out but then nothing till i walk in as i do ask my nabours and housing hasnt complained to me yet

ciesana

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
Eddie can be loud, but it's usually not too bad. He can really work up a good scream, though. I have understanding landlords.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have 4 Pois in an appartment and haven't heard any complaints about the noise.
I think my Lovebird is actually more noisy then they are at times and she isn't particularly noisy, specially for a Lovebird.

I find Pois are perfect appartment birds.
Their scream can be loud; however, I haven't met a Poi yet which was constantly noisy. Their typical scream is a high pitch scream that some people can find annoying.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I have a cockatiel, 2 lovebirds, and a red rump in my apartment and a barking dog and no one has complained...lol
My birds are near the windows and they are open all summer.

Mviss

Meeting neighbors
I have a Senegal and he's not noisy at all. He just has a high pitch scream when I leave the house or when a car is in the driveway, good watch dog! I would say that out of all the parrots I have heard (friends and petshops) the Sennie is def one of the quiter parrots. I can recommend them to anyone living in an apartment. My friend that lives upstairs from me also has a Sennie and she's also not that noisy. It also depends how you bring them up. Her's will scream for attention and then gets it, but that's the way she brought her's up. I discovered that when I wisper to my Sennie he uses a low voice to answer me. Hope this helps a bit.

Zoey26

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelli
I have a Jardine ... I can usually hear her downstairs (i'm on the top floor) and outside. Sometimes she can make pleasant sounds, so I kinda hope my neighbors just think she's an outside bird. Her new favorite noise is my squeaky closet door, which she loves to do over and over first thing in the morning.. sigh.. I need earmuffs!!

I've heard Jardine's are louder than Sennies though..

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read many sources which state that poicephaluses make great companions for those living in appartments.:)

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I've read the same and hope to get a baby Senegal late next summer.
They may scream or "flock call" every once in awhile, but I've never heard of them constantly screaming. My tiel and lovies are far FAR noisier and as I already stated, no complaints :)

PragmaticHominid

Checking out the neighborhood
My Senegal is really very, very loud, and I believe that if I lived in an apartment she would have gotten me into a deal of trouble by now.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
My Sennies are fairly quiet but if they want to be loud, they can be with that high pitched scream/call that has already been mentioned. I have outdoor Sennies and some current indoor ones. The indoor ones will be moving outdoors soon. Everyone is fully flighted. I personally think having the ability to fly around a large space and have same species playmates helps to keep them quieter than they otherwise may be. I rotate all their toys to help keep their little minds fully stimulated and I make sure that they have foraging toys too (just for play & also as a food source). The outdoor sights also help keep their minds occupied. A bored or depressed bird can sometimes be noiser than one which is not - in my experience.

If the consensus turns out to be that they are noisy birds, then you might instead consider getting a Meyers, they seem to be quieter and less nippy as a species in my experience but there are always exceptions I would think.

Last edited:

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
I'm on the fence about it. Freddie, my Sennie IS loud. He's learned the rest of my flocks calls, and can imitate it perfectly. I do have larger birds, and their calls are quite loud, and he constantly does it with such gusto, its hard to determine who actually made the noice. Freddie also has a loud beep he picked up (probably in the place he lived before- he's a rehome) that is peircing. When I leave the house, and when I get back to my door, Freddie is generally the one I can hear, and he's beeping.
I think that Senegals can be quiet, but MY Senegal is more than likely not an apartment bird. It could be done, but I'd have to be very vigilant where I place his cage, as to not any walls shared by a neighbor.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I have a cape and she is super soft spoken 90 percent of the time but she does have the weirdest most obnoxious screeching scream about once a day for about 5 minutes or so. Never heard this noise come from any other bird. Very unique. Its been described like the sound of a bad fan belt on a car. One of these days Ill get it on video for you.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
If the consensus turns out to be that they are noisy birds, then you might instead consider getting a Meyers, they seem to be quieter and less nippy as a species in my experience but there are always exceptions I would think.
I have two Meyer's and they are noisier than my Senegal.
Not sure if I'm willing to consider them as "exceptions" since both do noise on their own terms (they aren't answering each other) and both do noise more often than my Senegal.

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
Hi!

My Meyer's parrot does have a high pitched flock call when he's looking for me or agitated by another sound (TV, tea kettle whistling, etc.) Otherwise he fairly quiet. My husband can't handle the flock call, though. They're sweet little birds otherwise, & not as nippy as I've read Sennies to be. I'd talk to Saroj some more about Rudy the Red Belly. They're supposedly tops! Good luck on finding the perfect fit for you. :)

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
I have a senni. She is usually quiet about her chatter, but she has let out a few shrill screams. They aren't often enough to be a problem, and certainly not enough to say she couldn't be an apartment bird. I think my little gcc is louder, and compared to other birds, I consider her (my gcc) to be quiet. Someone mentioned giving in to attention-getting behavior. I believe that our birds are what we indirectly train them to be. I try to talk quietly, calmly, and clearly to my birds (with the hopes they may talk, one day :rolleyes: ). In all honesty, I chose both because they are supposed to be quieter birds. So far, so good. I also have a quiet house, which may help.

My experience as a senni mom has been very good. She is a sweetheart and is very affectionate. She loves to have one foot touching my finger, if not around it, when she is on me, and always greets me with a smooch. I would recommend a senni to anyone who wants a sweet parrot in a small body. :heart:

littlegreen.feathers

Meeting neighbors
Carol, may I ask how old your Cape is? Has she gone through any issues with puberty and agression? A cape is my dream bird.;)

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Carol, may I ask how old your Cape is? Has she gone through any issues with puberty and agression? A cape is my dream bird.;)
My cape was hatched in Feb 2009 so she is not even a year yet, so no puberty/aggression issues. We love her! She is an all around great bird. Active, but able to settle, not loud, loves to be handled, prefers to be upside down instead of right side up, she's so funny. I have several videos of her on here and on youtube and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.