• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plum head

Jakeianson

Moving in
Real Name
Jake
Hi everyone I just brought a plum headed parrot yesterday he’s 5 months old can anyone tell me how long to keep him in the cage to settle down and the best way to start training him thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the Forum! Yay another Plummie! Hazzzzah!

Pi welcomes you also
PXL_20210301_031506118.jpg

To answer your question, it will depend a lot on your birds. I left the cage open and simply spent time around him and waited. One days whilst reading he hopping to my shoulder. We have been best friends since. :)

Last edited:

Jakeianson

Moving in
Real Name
Jake
Okay great how long did u keep him caged when u got him got mine yesterday and he was eating straightaway he is 4 or 5 months old

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Okay great how long did u keep him caged when u got him got mine yesterday and he was eating straightaway he is 4 or 5 months old
I started leaving it open for him a day or two after he came home. However do consider that you need to have a lot of free time with him during this time. You can't expect to allow him out for a few hours as you haven't built trust with him yet. So scooping him up and setting him back in the cage isn't really a possibility. You need to wait for him to go back for more food or water etc. When my guy came home he was very shy for a few weeks. I left the door open, but he didn't decide to come out for a few days. Then he start spending time on the top of the cage for breakfast. It took him a few months before he felt confident navigating the house.

Hopefully this helps :)

Reactions: tka

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:welcomegroup:

Jakeianson

Moving in
Real Name
Jake
I started leaving it open for him a day or two after he came home. However do consider that you need to have a lot of free time with him during this time. You can't expect to allow him out for a few hours as you haven't built trust with him yet. So scooping him up and setting him back in the cage isn't really a possibility. You need to wait for him to go back for more food or water etc. When my guy came home he was very shy for a few weeks. I left the door open, but he didn't decide to come out for a few days. Then he start spending time on the top of the cage for breakfast. It took him a few months before he felt confident navigating the house.

Yeah thanks he’s flew in a different room hope he gets back to his cage bit worried now

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yeah thanks he’s flew in a different room hope he gets back to his cage bit worried now
Well on the upside he is a little more confident than my bird was. Maybe roll the cage into the room he flew too and close the door. So he is more likely to find his way in. Also always have treats on hand and try to make exchanges as positive as possible.

Jakeianson

Moving in
Real Name
Jake
Well on the upside he is a little more confident than my bird was. Maybe roll the cage into the room he flew too and close the door. So he is more likely to find his way in. Also always have treats on hand and try to make exchanges as positive as possible.

Attachments

Jakeianson

Moving in
Real Name
Jake
Yeah he eat on the first day and drank water his in the room with cage now and she’ll I offer him a treat or leave him alone no rush to go back in cage just want him to be trained in time don’t want to scare him

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yeah he eat on the first day and drank water his in the room with cage now and she’ll I offer him a treat or leave him alone no rush to go back in cage just want him to be trained in time don’t want to scare him
You have the right instinct. Be slow about it and respect the comfort zone. Treats can be presented in a bowl and you can turn and walk away. Allow the bird to get the treat themselves. In time they will learn, hey the human leaves nom noms. :)

Jakeianson

Moving in
Real Name
Jake
You have the right instinct. Be slow about it and respect the comfort zone. Treats can be presented in a bowl and you can turn and walk away. Allow the bird to get the treat themselves. In time they will learn, hey the human leaves nom noms. :)
Yeah that’s brilliant I really appreciate your help thanks

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I saw some plummies today. I will make a thread for the pictures in a few days. They seem such sweeties.