• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I have an 8 year old B&G macaw. She used to be housed in a seperate building and stayed there for about 6-8 months. Within the last four months we moved her into our house and I've noticed that she is now plucking her chest feathers. It starded with a little blood on her feathers and now there are actual bare spots. She has toys and stuff to do and gets more attention than she's ever had! How do I stop this behavior? This is my first and only bird. Thank you for any help you can offer. I feel really bad and am worried it's my fault. :(

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would have her checked out by an avian vet it could be something physical like guardia or a food allergy if something new in her diet then I would consider behavioral problems after ruling out that first I a moving this to the area for pluckers and hope others will chime in as well

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Where is her cage located? Is it in a busy area when she's used to privacy? Or is she isolated away from her family? Is there a window where there wasn't one before? Has her diet changed? I agree with Cynthia, that a vet check is in order, but it seems like the move probably has upset her in some way she can't tell you. Any other pets in the house like a dog or cat? Any other birds?

Ginger

saraz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Thanks for the info and for moving the thread. I'm somewhat new here and didn't realize there was an area for pluckers!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As Cynthia suggested, the first step is to have her examined by a vet. Often, there's an underlying medical cause. If everything checks out, then I'd start with the size of the cage. How large is it? A blue and gold should have a cage big enough for her to stretch out her wings, and bigger is always better. How much time does she spend OUT of the cage. My B&G reduced her plucking when I made her a play area outside of her cage. You say she has toys, but does she have shreddables and wooden chew toys? Most macaws need an enormous amount of wood to chew to keep them from chewing on their own feathers. Tell us more about her environment and routine. Also, is she bonded to you, or another family member?

saraz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Rocky has a large cali cage with a perch on top. She's never confined to her cage. She could probably use more toys. She is located in what is known as the mud room. There is moderate traffic there and a window to see outside and for natural light. We have 2 dogs and some cats, none of which bother her. She has a play gym but has yet to step foot on it. She is definitely bonded to me but will let hubby have her on his shoulder. I'm home most of the day. The plucking started b4 we moved her and her stool has been more watery than normal. Thanks guys!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Okay, then definately a vet check is in order with blood work and fecal. Do you have an avian vet or do you need help finding one?

Ginger

saraz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Oh and same food we've fed since she came to live with us. No we do not have an avian vet. I'm in WI. She's not real keen on being handled, so how do I get her to the vet?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You towel her into a carrier and get her in. Do not let her out of your sight when you get there. Where in Wisconsin are you? Just a town or city please. We have several AA members who live there who can recommend a vet.

Ginger

saraz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I am located in Central WI between Appleton and Stevens Point. Green Bay and Oshkosh are close as well. All are about 30min to an hour away.

Status
Not open for further replies.