• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking? Overpreening? Molting?

MaxTheBird

Moving in
Hello,
I noticed that Max has a small spot on her chest that looks like its missinig some feathers. I've never seen her actually pluck her feathers, but she has started to preen way more than I think is normal. She is also itching her head a ton. When I change her cage liner, I see lots of feathers (mostly downy feathers), but all of them are intact and not shredded or broken. Additionally, she has started taking more naps in the day. Spring has begun, which means molting season for birds, but I have not seen a single pin feather on her yet.
To me, it sounds like molting, but what do you guys think?

(I apologise if this is not posted in the right forum, as I am new to the AA community)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If your bird is moulting it should be even and not showing bald spots. They drop the same feather from the same spot on both sides almost at the same time. This helps them maintain flight and balance.

If you notice a bald spot on the breast area, my first thought is it may be the crop. Their crops do not have feathers. So if a moulted feather fell from near the crop it may look like a bald spot. Take a closer look at the spot. If you can see their crop it may be nothing to worry about. However keep an eye on her, because seeing a crop is also uncommon, and her crop may be inflamed.

Also offering her more baths during a moult can help with her itchy feeling.