• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent plucking feathers

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
Hello
I have an indian ringneck pair who recently had babies and i've been hand feeding them for 3 weeks now (they are now 6 weeks old).
I have noticed that the male (father) ringneck has been shedding allot of feathers as it is with the female aswell. But my concern is that the male looks more baldish on his back and has more destroyed and battered feathers than the female, I also sometimes catch him while he is aggressively scartching himself.
Today when he was flying, he dropped one of his HUGE tail feathers, which got me concerned.
I have realized that they were very depressed after we've pulled away their babies.
and plus they can hear them from upstairs when te babies are eating and begging for food. In the beginning when we first pulled them, the pair was screaming all day and going back and forth to were the nest box door was, to look for the babies.
Before the babies we used to give them lots of attention, we dont have much time for that now so the fact that we dont give them attention is a bonus. (although i thought non-tamed pairs dont need attention, but i'm guessing i could be wrong).
I need some advice and ideas on what the reason to this should be, and the resoluion for it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

Try to be a rainbow in somebody else´s cloud ❤️
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is that the fefmale plucking the male? Or is he doing that to himself?

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
Is that the fefmale plucking the male? Or is he doing that to himself?
They are doing it to themselves, their feathers look very worn out and I think they look kinda sick.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump is used when the person posting has nothing to offer in the way of advice but can see not many have answered or offered help. A post with the word Bump will just move your thread to the top of the what’s new list for more members to see :)

Zara

Try to be a rainbow in somebody else´s cloud ❤️
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
themselves
Oh, both birds?

Is there a vet you can take them to? Seems strange to have two birds plucking at the same time, and if you say they look sick, it is best to take them to a professional to have a look at them. Sometimes there might not be a vet in your own town or city, and have to travel to another city to get help.

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
Bump is used when the person posting has nothing to offer in the way of advice but can see not many have answered or offered help. A post with the word Bump will just move your thread to the top of the what’s new list for more members to see :)
oh ok thank you

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
Oh, both birds?

Is there a vet you can take them to? Seems strange to have two birds plucking at the same time, and if you say they look sick, it is best to take them to a professional to have a look at them. Sometimes there might not be a vet in your own town or city, and have to travel to another city to get help.
i have spoken to my vet and they said it might be because they can still hear the babies but theres nothing i can do , so thats why im asking for advice