• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Plucking eclectus

CharisNIchigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charis
Hi everyone!
I have another problem that started a week ago....
U see it's my eclectus, she was very nice and peaceful but all of a sudden she started plucking her feather and now her whole Chest is bare when u part her down feather(what's left?) u can see her crop and her bare skin.
Should this be taken as an emergency? What shall I do? o_O

Shivan

Walking the driveway
They look like pins emerging from the skin, they're baby feathers. If your bird has plucked herself bald out of the blue like that then I would definately take her in. It could be hormonal but you want to rule out air-sac mites and other disorders. Is she being kept up past dark? Any new stresses or changes?

CharisNIchigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charis
They look like pins emerging from the skin, they're baby feathers. If your bird has plucked herself bald out of the blue like that then I would definately take her in. It could be hormonal but you want to rule out air-sac mites and other disorders. Is she being kept up past dark? Any new stresses or changes?
Errr there is a construction site next door and it's LOUD! But has been there 6 months?
So that I have no clue if that's the cause
And she sleeps quite early I suppose around 6-7ish but she is on one foot and still awake? So what should I do? Cos it is painful for me and my mum.

Shivan

Walking the driveway
I would schedule a vet appt as soon as possible to rule out any health issues. If she's never had any plucking issues before and all of the sudden plucks herself bald anywhere, it's cause for alarm. Whatever it is you want to nip it in the bud now before this becomes a lifelong habit. Good luck, and please keep updates on her. Do you have any pics?
And also, have any new birds/animals come into the home in the last several months?

Last edited:

CharisNIchigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charis
I would schedule a vet appt as soon as possible to rule out any health issues. If she's never had any plucking issues before and all of the sudden plucks herself bald anywhere, it's cause for alarm. Whatever it is you want to nip it in the bud now before this becomes a lifelong habit. Good luck, and please keep updates on her. Do you have any pics?
I only have the baby photos but will try to get a photo of the bald part! Oh and as a baby her wings was clipped wrongly.... But now it is in good condition... Shall I post a baby photo of her being weaned?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are many tracts of bare skin on a parrot that are not visible when the feathers are lying correctly. The chest and crop areas being one of them. Are you sure this is not what your looking at?

CharisNIchigo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charis
There are many tracts of bare skin on a parrot that are not visible when the feathers are lying correctly. The chest and crop areas being one of them. Are you sure this is not what your looking at?

It is toward her crop to belly area that she is bald like after bathing u pull the feathers apart and u will see a whole bare patch. Even when dry she is bald at the area. There are many bitten feathers on the cage lining what r the possible reasons?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It is toward her crop to belly area that she is bald like after bathing u pull the feathers apart and u will see a whole bare patch. Even when dry she is bald at the area. There are many bitten feathers on the cage lining what r the possible reasons?

The bald area you describe is perfectly normal. There may very well be chewed feathers but that is a separate thing from the bald spots. Take a picture of it and post it so we can see it.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If your bird is plucking, it's always wise to have a check up with a vet to rule out a physical cause like guardia or ABV.

I think it's not uncommon for female Eclectus to pluck some when they are hormonal. The person who might best be able to answer questions about that is @sodakat

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What is her diet?