• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucked African Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have been going to see a CAG at the bird store that is approx 4 years old. His owner couldn't keep him and took him there. He is very sweet and loving, but very plucked! I guess he was a little plucked when he arrived at the store but really plucked when left there. My question is this, can a Grey ever stop plucking once they do? I am really wanting to get another bird, but am being cautious and want to make the right choice for me. I really like this guy and know he would first need to go to the vet, but I am curious if this would be lifelong or not.:confused:

Thanks

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
itsounds like a behavior issue and really, t hink about it, wouldn't you pluck if you were left in a strange place?? however, a vet visit is a really good idea to rule out any underlying illnesses..from what I read, they can stop plucking..but then again, sometimes they don't. so it is up to you ...barring health issues, and even then if they are not excessive and you are willing to take it on, it just sounds like that poor guy just needs a good and loving forever home.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I know he needs a good home and i worry since he is a plucker I might contribute to it if I took him home. (Not doing everything right for him.)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I dont think there is any way for sure to know but this bird deserves and needs a good home. I am sure once at the store he became very nervous. :( Yes he very well could stop plucking with love, patience, a good diet, good lighting, a nice cage with plenty to do and most of all a feeling that he is safe and loved. I wouldnt let this stop you from adopting him.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I took in a CAG in almost the exact situation. He still barbers his feathers once in awhile, but is 99% feathered at all times now. I was not experienced in handling a bird with issues; I just had a connection with him and a pure heart in wanting to take care of him. Within months of having a steady home with us he started to sprout feathers like a little baby bird. I can't say I knew what I was doing, I just did some research and worked with it as we went.

It's normal to have doubts about whether you can handle this bird, and I remember thinking oh goodness, what am I thinking?!? multiple times before actually bringing him home. However, deep down I knew it was right. I think you know deep down whether you are able and committed to taking him in and giving him a forever home.

His plucking was/is behavioral, but the vet revealed a very stubborn infection in him as well. This is always a possible case with an abandoned bird. So not only do you have to commit mentally, but also financially.

One year later and about a grand spent at a vet, I have a happy healthy boy who I would never trade for anything. Just seeing him brightens my every day and makes everything worth it. If you can see yourself feeling this way after all you may go through, then this baby is for you :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I know he needs a good home and i worry since he is a plucker I might contribute to it if I took him home. (Not doing everything right for him.)
You certainly couldn't do any worse than the horrid petstore is doing. That is FOR SURE!!!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I say rescue this little guy and give him the love he needs and deserves.

Should you take him in, send me a PM and I will send you a goody bag for him that may help with the plucking - and everything will be natural - no chemical crap that they sell out there. :)

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and the little guy. And, for the record, I have seen many a grey go back into full feather with the proper love, food, attention, lighting, etc.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
You are right John, his cage is on the bottom of about 3 cages and too small for him. There are tons of different kinds of babies there right now and he is low on the totem pole! He does not want to come out of the cage, but will grab on to my finger and loves to have scritches! And thanks Kathie, I will!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We took in a Grey last year that was plucking pretty badly. He was very stressed out and abused. We weren't sure if we could get him to stop plucking, but we didn't worry about that at the time. We just knew we could be a better home for him. We changed his diet and worked with him. He is now full feathered. There is always a chance that they will stop plucking given the right circumstances and love. I agree with the other people here, I am sure you would give him a wonderful home where he could have the chance to be happy and healthy again.

I attached two pics of Quincy Jones so you could see his improvement. The first one is from the first day we brought him home in October last year. The last one is from last week. He certainly has enriched our lives, and gives us much to smile about.

Attachments

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
They are the most beautiful, highly intelligent birds that you could wish to meet and this one sounds as if he needs your help badly.
Imagine a 3-5yr old toddler being taken to a strange place and left there amongst strangers in strange surroundings? Wouldn't they be traumatised?
After ruling out any medical condition that can be treated it would be diet and lots of love and kindness to do the trick. Good luck.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Speaking from my heart I'd say take him in...Sounds like he just needs a loving forever home.:o:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I keep going to see him and making sure he and I would be a good fit. I think so, but no to sure about DH and our GCC! (who is spoiled rotten!) I know we sure click and he needs to get out of there. They have so many babies and some grey babies coming soon. I at first wanted a baby so I could socialize etc.. but I know that there are older birds that need homes- like this one, who is already here. So thats what I have been looking at. Older birds instead of babies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
We took in a Grey last year that was plucking pretty badly. He was very stressed out and abused. We weren't sure if we could get him to stop plucking, but we didn't worry about that at the time. We just knew we could be a better home for him. We changed his diet and worked with him. He is now full feathered. There is always a chance that they will stop plucking given the right circumstances and love. I agree with the other people here, I am sure you would give him a wonderful home where he could have the chance to be happy and healthy again.

I attached two pics of Quincy Jones so you could see his improvement. The first one is from the first day we brought him home in October last year. The last one is from last week. He certainly has enriched our lives, and gives us much to smile about.
:heart::hug8: Look at that! :heart:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I know, Gives me hope! But I also know that should he continue to pluck out of habit he is still a beautiful and wonderful bird!:)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I know, Gives me hope! But I also know that should he continue to pluck out of habit he is still a beautiful and wonderful bird!:)
Yes I was going to say that, even if he does pluck and never stops, so what? A friend of mine has the most wonderful Grey, she plucks but boy is she a sweetheart, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, outward beauty means nothing. :hug8:

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Exactly! I think you will know what is best for all of you. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by taking the time to really think about the situation. We use to say Quincy Jones just prefered lounging in his fuzzy pj's before he feathered out. lol It sounds like the bird you are looking at is already a sweetheart, and hopefully he will find a forever home even if it isn't with you. Good luck with your decision. :)

4Z Birds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
You are right John, his cage is on the bottom of about 3 cages and too small for him. There are tons of different kinds of babies there right now and he is low on the totem pole! He does not want to come out of the cage, but will grab on to my finger and loves to have scritches! And thanks Kathie, I will!
If you decide to provide a home, don't worry about not doing everything right for him. There is a lot you can do, so do what you can.

Greys can overcome a feather destruction habit, but if you take him be willing to accept him looking like he does now. If you can help him get beyond it, that's great. If not, he's still sounds perfect.

I'd rather have a sweet, feather challenged parrot than an aggressive one that is perfectly feathered.

Birdasaurus mentioned feeling a connection and having a pure heart about wanting to take care of a bird. It sounds like what I hear in this post.

Good luck in your decision.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Can I add a question to this post? Can a bird that plucks encourage another bird in the house to pluck? I wouldn't think so, but I've wondered...
newf...Quincy Jones such a handsome grey!! With such a personality! :)

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
luvgreys, I have wondered about that myself. My first two birds don't pluck, the last two birds we brought home plucked when they got here. My original Grey and my Pionus have never plucked themselves, and haven't picked up the habit from the other two either. It is a good question though given that they are so intelligent and do learn things from each other.

Thank you for the compliment for Quincy Jones. He certainly is a character that's for sure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.