• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please say a little prayer for Pipkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She has her first ever egg, and she's having trouble passing it. She's at the vet where he will watch her for the next several hours and decide if he needs to remove the egg.

I could tell she had one yesterday. She kept turning around and fooling with her underside. I pulled her out and felt around, and could easily feel the egg. She was eating and drinking well, so I really hoped I'd see the egg by this morning. It wasn't there, and she didn't eat at all morning, and has been very quiet and still. I got her to the vet a couple of hours ago. He'll call me later to update me. He's given her a calcium shot and some fluids. He wants to give her a little more time because the egg is right there at the opening. But he said if she's getting too stressed he'll take it out, which of course means putting her under, which scares me.

C'mon Pipkin...push that thing out!!

Pipkin is almost five and had never had an egg. I was really hoping we'd avoid all this!!

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aww poor little Pipkin.. :( Sending over many prayers and healing vibes. :hug8:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Will the vet try to apply gentle pressure and help her with it, or will he go straight to anesthesia? I don't know much about these things, I've just seen people post on here about it.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
He will gently inject some saline into the vent area to try to "lube" things up. I don't think he'll will do much in the way of trying to push it out from the outside as this can cause damage. Fortunately the egg is very low, so if it comes to taking it out they won't have to go far. He said they actually poke the egg from the bottom (going up the vent), and draw out the liquid which collapses the egg. Then it's easy to slide it out. Sounds ok, but still....aaaaah!

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Poor baby, prayers going out:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Praying for Little Pipkin...... The world of egg laying is a very scary place... I hope your baby does just fine through this

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Pipkin and you are in my thoughts. :hug8: You are a good, observant, mom, noticing this right away. :hug8:

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
:hug8:Hope everything goes smoothly with either she has the egg naturally or with Avet help!! Betty, Dixie and I are sending lots of positive energy too you both. :heart:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Tons of prayers for Pipkin---may she pass that nasty egg safely.:hug8:

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
((((PIPKIN)))) Hang in there sweet girl.... :heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sending my prayers out to Pipkin...also sending out positive,calming thoughts out to you,Dawn...

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
The vet just called and said he went ahead and removed the egg. He said she's awake and doing well...I may even be able to pick up her up this evening. She'll be on antibiotics for a few days as a precaution. I think she's ok!! :heart: Can't wait until she's home. It's too quiet without Pipkin's chirps, chitters, and all the other little sounds that come from the cage during the day while she's busy. And I just received a new globe swing from MPBT that she needs to test out! :D

THANK YOU everyone for your prayers and positive vibes!! AA is a great group!! :hug8:

Last edited:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Happy to hear she is OK...I have a tiel who is a chronic egglayer and I always worry about her. I hope Pipkin stops laying.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
So happy to hear the good news. :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
So glad to hear Pipkin is doing well!!

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Good news - you must be so relieved - good thing you got her to the vet - awesome parronting! Wishing her swift healing.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad shes ok, those egg laying girls scare me too.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
I'm glad she is ok :hug8:my Sydney was laying eggs, she will be 2 in June. I got her to bed a bit earlier every night and I left three fake eggs in there (3 is her fav number of eggs to lay) so when she feels "nesty" she has them to sit on, so far so good she hasn't laid since December which is wonderful.

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I didn't see this! Dawn, I am so happy she is going to be ok! I know how scary this is and I am so happy she will be ok :hug8:

You know I have to ask, what Vet did you see? And did you like the care you received? PM me if you would like but I would love to know! All of us "Zantop" patients are still in that great search for the next best, if there is such a thing.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad she is doing ok dear.....phew......many positive thoughts still on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.