• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Hello all you WONDERFUL conure folk..i need to ask your help...I have a family visiting with the Pineapple conure(they are calling her BELLA)they have ex with small birds,but are relatively new to birds:) they are a very nice family they had been looking into buying a conure,but then decided to meet a rescue...they are in love with BELLA,she is approx almost 4 months..the lil stinker stage,but also very loving and cuddly,i have asked her to join and start asking questions and learn more about conure behavior (her daughter wanted to be able to bring the conure home right away:D)but i told them i want them to really think for a wk read and listen to people,and then we will start the adoption process if we are both feeling like going foward..but it will be a couple wks even after that..so when she comes on PLEASE GIVE HER LOTS OF ADVICE...THANK YOU SO MUCH

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Of course! :hug8: How could we not?? have they got a cage picked out yet or does she come with one? :)

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i am giving a cage but she will need to supply toys and perches n swings and such

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I am very new to conures myself but well do all I can.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My advice is, that even though this baby will be very nippy, to continue to handle it daily, many times a day.

Baby birds will be nippy, and I hear so much about how they get stuck in a cage and not handled much. Which really doesnt help the bird's nippiness, it makes it harder for them.

CONGRATS to the new family and Bella, and hopefully they are the right ones for her:hug8:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Are they aware that conures are a little loud? I have a sun (but I know that most of the others--GCC etc, are a tad quieter) and her calls and yells are fine in a house with a bunch of going deaf people. But even my ears ring when Rika hears a familar car and yells while on my shoulder.

Conures are cuddlers as a rule, so the down side of that is you can't play with them as a fun novelty and then start ignoring them. As all the books say---proceed with a new bird they way you intend to "structure" their life with you. Of course take them out and bond but encourage independent play from the start. So lots of toys --.

Most parronts with conures have "holely" shirts. I don't have this much with Rika instead of having her body in my shirt and her head out , she has her head in,:hehe: chewing on my bra with her butt out. So for now my underware or certain parts of my anatomy are frayed but not my outerware.

We did go through a bitey stage and the usual conure fascination with sticking their beaks into every place---ears, nose and mouth. That still happens but the formerly relentless pusuit of my glasses has for the most part passed. She does seem to have learned "gentle" when beaking, and "no" for the glasses. Right now she is clipped again(she has a temper and will occassionally take wing in a fit of temper and hit a wall) so she has also stopped snatching Dad's hearing aid on a fly by---She was able to fly grab and on the way to her cage remove the battery.!!!

I love my Rika and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the conures for a moment. But you do need to respect the individual bird and expect some noise, some nips , but also some fun.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looking forward to meeting them :) Its wonderful that they got in touch with you to look into taking in a rehome. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.