• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please help..

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
This is Emma, she is 9 years old. I have had her since she was 3 years old and she has NEVER laid eggs.
The first time I tried to breed her she went through all the motions but never laid eggs. She would sit on her perch with her back hunched over. I know this is a sign of egg bound but she had NO other symptoms. After a few weeks it went away. That was about 5 months ago.
She has become very hormonal lately and been trying to mate every day. Today I noticed she has started hunching over again! She is also breathing heavy.
Please help... what's going on with my little bird?

20160206_125813.jpg 20160206_125816.jpg

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no experience with female tiels but I am going to see if I can find someone on this board who does.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is from VCA Animal hospital. This is considered an emergency if she is egg bound. Can you get her to a vet?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From pet MD

Do not attempt to remove the egg yourself, as you can cause the bird harm – paralysis or death. Instead, take the bird to a veterinarian. X-rays will be taken to locate the egg and check for any abnormality in egg size. Afterwards, the veterinarian may try natural expulsion of the egg: giving the bird calcium, humid environment, lots of fluids, warmth and lubrication of the passage. They may also inject female hormones like oxytocin and prostaglandin to help the bird expel the egg. If all the previous methods fail, the veterinarian will extract the egg by hand or surgically.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I'm hoping it's not egg bound since this has happened before and went away. I just don't know what else it could be. She will sit like that for a period of time and then she sits normal and plays, eats, has normal droppings.
Maybe she has bad posture? Like a slouch that people get from not sitting up right? I donno if birds can get that or not..
I have a calcium supplement and could give her a room full of steam.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does she strain or struggle to breathe? Make any sounds or look distressed?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does she have a buldge at her vent, like an egg is sitting there? They will pass poo even with an egg. You can soak her bum in warm water to help, but, if your at all in doubt ,vet! Egg binding is serious. Laboured breathing is just that Labor. Hope she's OK.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I picked her up to look for a bump and there wasn't one. Her vent is normal size. She seems fine shes playing with her toys and breathing normal again. She wasn't making any sounds thay weren't normal for her. She chirps to me all day so that's what she was doing.
I do notice she is shaking, I notice them shake often though because it's cold here right now.
When I stick my hand in she runs around and starts playing with her toys again.
Is there any other cause for her standing this way?

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
She is bent over and keeps spreading her tail feathers out and shaking.. I'm so nervous. I'm going to give her a warm bath right now. How long should I keep her in there?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you get her to a vet and have her checked? I hope she will be OK.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She is bent over and keeps spreading her tail feathers out and shaking.. I'm so nervous. I'm going to give her a warm bath right now. How long should I keep her in there?

Don't know if bathing her in warm water is good especially if its cold. Have heard warm steamy shower is good.

Does sound like something is wrong.

She needs to be kept warm. Can you put on some heat?

Do you have an avian vet? Please call & ask them

I hope she is OK

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Is she eating and drinking?

Was she on a calcium AND D3 supplement prior to this behavior?
When I had hens that were in distress, I always moved forward with a tray of warm water (her body temp) with a bit of fresh aloe vera, and made her stay in it (5 minutes or more). I would give a probiotic/electrolyte solution orally and crank the heat up in the room. I would monitor, but at certain times, this helped.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Unfortunatly I can't get her to a vet right now. She was on zoo med calcium and oasis vitamins which contains D3 for about a week or two prior to this.

Should I bath her or just have her in a steam filled room?
I will put some vitamins on her food.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm no expert in this, but I hope she is alright. Sending hugs and positive thoughts. :sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As said this bird need to see an avian vet. Her life may be at risk.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
1 week prior is not sufficient, my hens breeding protocol was 30 days before breeding season. Think of it this way: are you healthier for eat one healthy meal (human)? or do you lower blood pressure and reduce body weight after 30 days of good eating....

I will be castrated for saying this, but here is a method I used in the past, if in fact I thought there was an issue with them passing an egg, and the vet was ABSOLUTELY not available:
Crank the heat in your place- she will need to 'dry' after this.
Rub coconut oil on the cloaca/vent, place hen in a dish of water (105, no deeper than it needs to be to reach her vent), entice her to stay there for about 2 minutes- the warm water helps to calm the vessels around the vent as it cools, and the oil acts as a lubricant if the egg starts to breach.

Give electrolyte solution orally which will help her with energy levels to complete the task. For a tiel, you are looking at .2 ml. Pedialyte in a jam- it will 'move' things along.
Feed a small amount of hard boiled egg, with the shell crushed up- if not eating, that is entirely different story.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I wasn't currently trying to breed her. I found she wasnt laying eggs months ago when she didnt have any after mating so I didnt try again. I rehomed the male a few months ago (he was picking on my other bird). So she doesn't have a mate, she's housed with 3 females. She's just one of my pets. I have a breeding pair in a seperate cage which I have been preparing them for when they have eggs which is why I bought the vitamins and calcium supplement. I just decided to give my others some of the vitamins and calcium too because I thought it would be good for everyone.
She doesn't have an egg bump and her vent is of normal size. Shouldn't it be bug if there was an egg trying to come out?
I will still put her in warm water.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I wasn't currently trying to breed her. I found she wasnt laying eggs months ago when she didnt have any after mating so I didnt try again. I rehomed the male a few months ago (he was picking on my other bird). So she doesn't have a mate, she's housed with 3 females. She's just one of my pets. I have a breeding pair in a seperate cage which I have been preparing them for when they have eggs which is why I bought the vitamins and calcium supplement. I just decided to give my others some of the vitamins and calcium too because I thought it would be good for everyone.
She doesn't have an egg bump and her vent is of normal size. Shouldn't it be bug if there was an egg trying to come out?
I will still put her in warm water.
No, Often the egg can be further up. I usually notice a 'pulsing' of the vent... but that can also happen from anything- poison, virus, etc- anytime they don't feel well.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
avian vet asap please