• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help to understand what's wrong with the bird

Vasfere

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vasfere
Hello.
I'm very concerned about my friend's parakeet, it's been sometime since he is looking sick, his tail is down to the point when he poops, the poop stick to the tail making it dirty, his eyes are half closed and he has puffed up feathers, he is not looking good. There's also the second bird in the cage and it's fine. Should he take the sick bird to a vet?

Attachments

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Sorry, I need to be realistic here:
Your friend know nothing about parrakeets! If this bird keeps living like this I would be surprised if it lived for two or one years!! Your friend needs to be more knowlegded in birds, I recommemd Elle and the birds to learn more about them or people like @Mizzely
Make sure there is no Teflon, scented candles, or harsh chemicals/sprays immediately

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It sounds like your friend has a bird that is certainly in need of seeing a vet for some care.

Maybe your friend could join here and give us some information about their birds diet, behaviour, housing and what they see happening with the bird that seems unwell

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can be tricky when it's not a bird you have in your care. If they are in a position to have the bird vetted, that would be ideal. Instead of accusations, just let them know you've noticed some things and would love to help make sure he's okay.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Firstly give the whole cage a good cleaning, and make sure ur friend doesn’t use non stick cookware or if she does it’s a special ptfe and pfoa free

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Impossible to tell for sure based on photo and doing so is very well is out of the scope of this forum.

One can guess but for actual answers you are going to need someone knowledgable to examine the bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope everything goes ok at the vet :fingerscrossed:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please let us know.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Sorry, I need to be realistic here:
Your friend know nothing about parrakeets! If this bird keeps living like this I would be surprised if it lived for two or one years!! Your friend needs to be more knowlegded in birds, I recommemd Elle and the birds to learn more about them or people like @Mizzely
Make sure there is no Teflon, scented candles, or harsh chemicals/sprays immediately

Apologizing initially doesn't give you license to be mean. The OP came for constructive advice/help. If you can't provide that, then don't respond.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Yeah you are right, that was bad of me I. Sorry vasfere for being so harsh, next time I will respond respectfully

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I agree with others, that little one definitely needs to see a vet.

My experience in bringing home a critically ill macaw taught me how important a clean living environment is to healing. Birds use their beaks for all sorts of things, from gripping the bars to climb to just rubbing their beaks on perches to clean some crumbs off. Every single touch can introduce new bacteria and an already ill bird may not have the ability to fight off the new things as easily as a fully healthy bird. I say this with zero judgement, I just wanted to point out, for example with my macaw, that all the meds in the world wouldn’t help him heal if his home wasn’t kept extra clean. He’d just keep picking up new things to treat.

Also, if the little one is just sitting there, it may be helpful to put a blanket on the cage bottom. I’ve used baby blankets when needed, if nothing else they’re super easy to keep clean (just wash every day or change out more as needed) and seem to bring some comfort while easing the effort it takes to perch.

Please keep us updated on the vet visit. Many good thoughts to you guys.

Vasfere

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vasfere
Yeah you are right, that was bad of me I. Sorry vasfere for being so harsh, next time I will respond respectfully
No worries. When I see animals in distress first comes a little anger as well. So I understand :)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you for forgiving me