• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help! Finches are breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell_flys

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie G
Our finches have already laid 10 eggs. 2 broke and they ate them. They still had 8 and are sitting on them for approx 15 days now.

This morning I wake up, not any babies yet but I see another egg. I have no way of telling which one she did. I know many are not good as I candled them and they are still yoke inside. 2 of 8 were dark and should be hatching any day. Now what should I do? She is laying more. Is this normal behavior for Zebra Finch?

They are my daughters babies. Since she is only 6 I brought them into my room when I noticed she was laying eggs. I have no idea what to do anymore.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Julie there is also birdsnways finch world chat, hoping you can find answers, but to me, sounds like shes laying a double clutch, How old are the finches ?

tinkerbell_flys

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie G
Julie there is also birdsnways finch world chat, hoping you can find answers, but to me, sounds like shes laying a double clutch, How old are the finches ?
I have no idea as to their ages because they were set up in an indoor aviary with many many zebra's and society fids. I picked 4 out for my mother and she decided to ony keep 2 gave these 2 to my daughter. I have no idea what they are doing anymore.

Thanks everyone for information.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you can also buy false eggs on line at birdsupplynh.com....you can take out the fertile eggs (of course do not take the ones out that are ready to hatch) and sub them with false eggs....but try to leave the eggs in the nest (false eggs) until she abandons or she will try to lay to replace....you did not say whether you have babies out of this....also you have to remove (after the clutch is gone) any kind of nesty materials from the cage...toys are ok..but no nesting boxes, anything they will use as a nest etc....I take it they are getting fresh veggies as well as their regular seed....finches love eggs, even broccoli etc.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How old are the finches? If your not sure how old they are you should wait 8-12 months as the pair needs to be atleast a year old. I would take the nest away until they're older. Also what diet are they on?

Status
Not open for further replies.