• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playing with budgie?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Merlin seems to reveal a new behavior or sound each week!

Lately, he's been treating one toy as his best bud. He still chews it up, but he beak-fences with the flowers (they probably do feel and look like beaks), quietly and sweetly warbles to it, preens it, and asks it to preen him. As soon as he wakes up he climbs down from his sleeping perch and goes to check on it. I wonder if people underestimate how smart budgies are, sometimes, because it seems obvious to me that he doesn't actually believe this toy is another bird-- he takes big chunks out of it, after all! He reminds me of a very young child with a comfort object.

I've started "playing" alongside him with the same toy. Once I started this, it's like something shifted in his little brain when it comes to my hands, and he's started preening my nails and fingers (but only inside the cage). He will usually never step up unless he sees a treat (although he is learning that I am willing to be his personal "elevator" when he gets stuck or wants to go somewhere), but in these moment he will climb onto my hand to get at my other fingers.

This has sort of become my cue for when he wants scritches, too. When I see him "asking" the toy to preen him, I will bring my hand close, and he will nibble my nail and tip his head almost 90 degrees and fluff up so much that I can see his pink skin. I tell myself that this is probably baby behavior, and he won't necessarily be this cuddly forever... but jeez, it's pretty darn cute. :sad11:

I never reach for him, I'll just kind of "perch" my hand and move one finger along with the sound of my voice until he moves closer. Sometimes he will scoot down and give my fingernail a sharp tap, like we are fencing.

Is it okay to interact like this, as long as I'm careful never to encourage hormonal behavior (whenever that arrives)?

He also LOVES to pull off tiny bits of toilet paper, roll them into little cocoons with his tongue, and drop them. I don't do this super often, because I'm worried about him swallowing that tiny, dusty paper pulp that toilet paper has.

Are there other ways your budgie likes to play? I want to try more toys and "games" so he's getting direct and not just indirect attention from me.

Once we move apartments, I will need to work on a solution for the rare weekends that I'm not in my bedroom for most of the day, too. Merlin doesn't like exploring outside of his cage, for now, but he's started flock calling to me on weekends when I'm cleaning in the kitchen or watching a movie with a friend (i.e. this Sunday, even though we'd had a good four five hours together). Any tips on this? I'd wheel his cage out, but it took him two weeks to recover his courage last time I moved his cage.

(Bonus video from the first time he unexpectedly decided to enjoy a spray bath!)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is it okay to interact like this, as long as I'm careful never to encourage hormonal behavior (whenever that arrives)?
It's absolutely fine and is common behaviour for a solo bird. I'll tag @Britnicorn who also has recent experience of this. You can even try tapping back at his beak, reciprocate and give him a little feedback.
Britnicorn has also seen how this behaviour towards hands can change when a second budgie is introduced and focus shifts.
A little warning though. It's possible he could later see your hand as a potential mate. It'll be up to you and your personal values as to whether you let the 'relationship' continue or withdraw at certain times.
All in all it's all good. Many people would dream of a budgie-hand relationship like this.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix used to nibble my fingers when I brought them next to his face like that, as he got older the nibbling turned to biting. I wouldn’t say he’s aggressive at all, but he’s definitely set boundaries and I respect them... he doesn’t like my fingers going directly to his face unless I’m petting him or beak-flicking, and he doesn’t like me touching him at random times of the day (like he’ll be busy playing with a toy, I’ll bring my finger to him to perch on it, then he bites me)

That face puffing thing- I know exactly what you mean. Phoenix does that when I touch his favorite toy or cross a boundary, and honestly I think it’s a territorial behavior. It’s superrrr cute but usually he only does it when he bites me. He’ll like, bite me then fluff his head/cheek feathers. I wonder if yours is doing it as a territorial thing too but doesn’t bite hard yet

Its all okay though as long as you respect boundaries, it sounds like you’re following your budgies boundaries so all is well

Also I had ended up taking away Phoenix’s favorite toy just for a day because he was getting a bit too attached, nothing dangerous but he was just constantly over there for a couple hours straight so I took it. He didn’t mind, and he got better so I gave it back- now he’s not super attached to it like he was before (he still feeds it but he’s not just sitting by it for an hour straight lol) might be a good idea for you in the future if you think your budgies getting too attached to have him take a break from it for awhile

As for playing, Phoenix is your typical boy :roflmao: he loves to play fight, play tug of war with rope, he even plays fetch. Just interacting with the toy with them can do you good too though!
Raijū isn’t very handtame, but he still likes to “play” with me. Our version of playing is talking to each other, he’ll make a sound and I’ll repeat it, I’ll say something and he repeats it, and Raijū gets hyped from doing that (I call it hyped when just their top head feathers raise, and they start beak flicking everything) :roflmao:

For contact calling- I know what you mean. Both Raijū and Phoenix will contact call me if I’m out of the room randomly. It helps if I go in and check on them, talk with them for a bit, then leave... they usually contact call for a bit after I leave again but they stop after a minute or two. You could also play music for him

I also wouldn’t say Phoenix’s behavior toward my hands has changed after I got Raijū, it’s more that his attention is split. He’s grown out of a few things he used to do when he was younger but he grew out of those things before Raijū moved in

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
A little warning though. It's possible he could later see your hand as a potential mate. It'll be up to you and your personal values as to whether you let the 'relationship' continue or withdraw at certain times.
All in all it's all good. Many people would dream of a budgie-hand relationship like this.
Yeah, I was totally shocked when his first move after nibbling my index finger was to clamber onto the back of my hand and go after the others, because before stepping up he MUST visually confirm I am holding millet (he cranes and swivels his head hilariously, and gives me a “nice try” look and scoots away if I don’t have the goods in hand). It was almost reflexive, and I can see how that could be a precursor to mounting behavior.

I’m still not 100% on whether he’s trying to placate me and get me to leave him alone with his superior balsa friend, or if he finds the interaction interesting/enjoyable. If ever I walk up to the open door of the cage and he scoots away from the entrance (even if it’s just a few steps) I'll just stand there without putting my hands in, because I don’t want to misread his cues and irritate him.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
@Britnicorn

This makes a lot of sense! It is tempting to initiate interactions with him, but I’m really, really trying to offer and then let him make the first more towards me.

Tugging back on toilet paper or straw seems to bewilder and offend him :roflmao: ("th-then why did you hold it out to me? :sad4:)... but he loves delicately plucking both out of my fingers, nibbling blissfully, and then dropping them.

I re-arranged his perches and now it's a bit harder to get to his food bowl, so he will occasionally accept a "ride" down to it when I see him gazing with that "I want to check for seeds but I also don't want to get up" expression, but otherwise he is also rarely thrilled to step up FOR FREE. I think some of that is concern that I might take him out of the cage-- I wonder if he will be bolder when his flights grow back.

I have moved the toy once or twice, now (actually used it to acclimatize him to the carrying cage, and I think it helped), and its new location does become his favorite spot, but his droppings are still pretty spread out when I come home, and he doesn’t often just sit without interacting with it—the cutest thing he does is scoot back on the perch and then make a running attack! When I say “bap bap bap!” and thrust it at him he will start beak-fencing with it, too. I have the feeling his attachment is a combination of it being the most stimulating toy (it’s just well made—the different textures all offer a different type of chewing, he can preen the raffia twine AND pull on it AND climb on it like a swing), and it being his only bud while I’m at work.

Before I remove it I’m going to try to make or buy toys with similar materials (need more balsa blocks) and add a swing! It's taught me a lot about what he likes. Although if I do come home with a second budgie tomorrow, I will definitely remove it before introducing them (after or a bit before #2s 30 day quarantine is over).