• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~*~*Pionus check in*~*~

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Rowan is my Jekyll and Hyde bird. She'll be the sweetest thing one day and just plain evil the next. I did a ton of research on pis, found a good breeder, took my baby home and she was exactly when I expected for about a day. After that, not so much. She has boundless energy, and the thought of a pionus being a perch potato just makes me laugh. She not loud, but she is noisy with her near-constant talking.
She's cage aggressive, and I've gotten nipped on multiple occasions after failing to read her correctly. I see none of that famous pionus strut, it's just CHOMP. For about three weeks she was stepping up eagerly and not biting at all. I was so excited and dared to hope we were past that bump in our road. Guess not. She took a chunk out of my finger the other day and has come close to succeeding a time or two since. I do respect her when she doesn't want to do something and always back off when it's clear she wants to stay where she is, but goodness, a little more warning from the rapscallion would be fantastic.
On a sillier note, Rowan walks backward. I don't know why, and no one else seems to either. What I do know is it's hilarious to watch. She's been backwards from the moment I took her out of the carrier the first time.
She love, love, loves her harness, which makes me as happy as can be. Zyda rejected her harness completely and I wasn't so confident afterwards that I'd be able to successfully train Rowan to one. She seems to know when I'm going to put the harness on her and take her outside, as she always steps up without hesitation - even if the harness is nowhere in sight.
Her three favorite things: showers, car rides, and vacuum cleaners. :huh: Most of my birds don't mind the shop-vac, but I can't say I've ever met a bird that LOVED it. I turn on the vacuum, and she starts talking and singing. She hangs upside down from her cage bars with her feathers ruffled and wings out, just waiting for the exhaust port to point her way so she can wind surf in the blast. Sometimes she even goes out of her way to get in the path of the wind. She acts like she's getting a bath. It's just too funny. She does the same thing with car air conditioners.
After a bath, she turns into a snuggle monster. So I wrap her in her towel and take her to my bed where we snuggle as I read to her and she purrs.
Lastly, she steals my things and hides them. If I have her out while I'm doing my crafts, she'll drag my scissors on the bed and then return for the spool of thread. :rolleyes:
In short, I love my little goofball. She's a pain, but I love her. :heart:
DSCF6870.jpg RowanAlmond.jpg

Last edited:

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Here is my girl Bronson! She is 6yrs old and it feels just like yesterday that I brought her home from the store. She was already a year old and they were getting ready to transfer her out, I fell in love instantly and brought her home. She was well socialized and a complete LOVEBUG!! She is sweet and even tempered and has never ever bitten me, not even tried. I didn't know she was a girl until she laid an egg for me, what a shock that was. And just like Zydabird's Rowan, Bronson adores walking backwards and hanging upside down!! The only thing on my wish list for Bronson is that she would someday say a few words! She imitates my laugh wonderfully though.........:swoon:

I LOVE my BW girlie!! :heart:

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Here's my Pionus Figaro. He's 1 year and 8 months old. I got him from a bird fair, but the breeder is from near my home. I was looking for a Pionus (but did NOT what a White Capped) I wanted a Dusky or BH or BW ANYTHING but a WC! I went to the bird fair and found only one breeder with only one available Pionus on the day I was looking and it was... a White Capped! He was SO scared in the cage of everyone! He was near injuring himself. The breeder told me she would give me 2 weeks to make a final decision if I didn't want him for ANY reason she would take him back, and she thought he would settle down with some time and attention.

I took a while to think about it then found myself looking at new cages, and getting things for my pionus before I even bought him :eek:. When I went back to her booth to mull it over again there was someone in front of me with a small child that poked his fingers through the bars scaring the poor thing to DEATH and said "mommy I want this one, does it talk?!" The breeder said 'no' and looked at me sadly. When the woman asked what's the smallest cage that she could get for him, she answered shortly and pulled me aside and told me she had dropped the price to $150 because she knew I would take good care of him and she wanted him to be enjoyed. I took him and purchased some things for him.

When I got him home it took just about 2 weeks for him to adjust and he was just SO scared! On the 14th day I was about to email the breeder to take him back and Figaro jumped to the front of the cage when I opened it in the morning and just stared at me. I emailed her then and there and told her to cash the check that he wasn't going anywhere! Since then he's improved slowly but at a constant rate. He took 5 months to step up and even longer to take food from my hand, but he's my buddy and I love him so much!

:hug8:
I just bought him a BIG new cage because since he's not so scared I'm not afraid of him hurting himself by falling off of a perch or if he gets spooked. Now he just flies around the apartment so there's new dangers, but at least he's able to glide down now. He can even land pretty well and doesn't use the wall to brake! Sorry for the long story, but that's my Figaro (Fig) Newton! Now for pics.

Dani

Avenue Veteran
Zydabird......Rowan is absolutley stunning!! I love your story, we can tell how much you adore her and let her walk all over you! I can't believe she steals your things, does she have a favorite place to hide them? :hehe:

brdfvr......I LOVE your story too! I was the same way, any Pi but a WC!! But I know that if I were in your spot, I would have made the same decision and bring him home! I bet you don't regret your decision, you've made wonderful progress with him. He is beautiful and I can see he loves you! His cage is the same as Bronson's. I originally bought the cage first thinking I was going to get an African Grey. :hehe:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Zydabird......Rowan is absolutley stunning!! I love your story, we can tell how much you adore her and let her walk all over you! I can't believe she steals your things, does she have a favorite place to hide them? :hehe:
Thanks! :heart:
And yes, she generally hides them under the bed or the couch. Just depends on how far she can drag whatever it is before getting bored with the idea. ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's my Pionus Figaro. He's 1 year and 8 months old. I got him from a bird fair, but the breeder is from near my home. I was looking for a Pionus (but did NOT what a White Capped) I wanted a Dusky or BH or BW ANYTHING but a WC! I went to the bird fair and found only one breeder with only one available Pionus on the day I was looking and it was... a White Capped! He was SO scared in the cage of everyone! He was near injuring himself. The breeder told me she would give me 2 weeks to make a final decision if I didn't want him for ANY reason she would take him back, and she thought he would settle down with some time and attention.

I took a while to think about it then found myself looking at new cages, and getting things for my pionus before I even bought him :eek:. When I went back to her booth to mull it over again there was someone in front of me with a small child that poked his fingers through the bars scaring the poor thing to DEATH and said "mommy I want this one, does it talk?!" The breeder said 'no' and looked at me sadly. When the woman asked what's the smallest cage that she could get for him, she answered shortly and pulled me aside and told me she had dropped the price to $150 because she knew I would take good care of him and she wanted him to be enjoyed. I took him and purchased some things for him.

When I got him home it took just about 2 weeks for him to adjust and he was just SO scared! On the 14th day I was about to email the breeder to take him back and Figaro jumped to the front of the cage when I opened it in the morning and just stared at me. I emailed her then and there and told her to cash the check that he wasn't going anywhere! Since then he's improved slowly but at a constant rate. He took 5 months to step up and even longer to take food from my hand, but he's my buddy and I love him so much!

:hug8:
I just bought him a BIG new cage because since he's not so scared I'm not afraid of him hurting himself by falling off of a perch or if he gets spooked. Now he just flies around the apartment so there's new dangers, but at least he's able to glide down now. He can even land pretty well and doesn't use the wall to brake! Sorry for the long story, but that's my Figaro (Fig) Newton! Now for pics.

What a story! Thanks for sharing!:hug8:

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal

brdfvr......I LOVE your story too! I was the same way, any Pi but a WC!! But I know that if I were in your spot, I would have made the same decision and bring him home! I bet you don't regret your decision, you've made wonderful progress with him. He is beautiful and I can see he loves you! His cage is the same as Bronson's. I originally bought the cage first thinking I was going to get an African Grey. :hehe:
Thanks, and the breeder also told me of another bird that she sold at a previous fair, the new owner resold her 3 days later to a pet store for triple the money. That poor Pionus sat in the pet store for 2 years before she got a new home! The store had been trying to sell her for $1800! :omg:

I couldn't let that happen to my guy. I just couldn't!

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
@Dani: Bronson is absolutely beautiful! I love Bronze Wings! When she went through maturity, did you notice her mood changing at all? Just curious how these guys react to all the new hormones. It'll be quite a while until i have to worry about that with my guy, but I was just wondering. Thanks.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) No recent photos of Sachi but here is one of the last videos. Oh.. and I think it's Pionus parrot hormone season around here.:eek: She's been making her crazy hormoney sounds and is more touchy feeley than usual.:o:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dani

Avenue Veteran
@Dani: Bronson is absolutely beautiful! I love Bronze Wings! When she went through maturity, did you notice her mood changing at all? Just curious how these guys react to all the new hormones. It'll be quite a while until i have to worry about that with my guy, but I was just wondering. Thanks.
Yes, she is FULL of hormones! Never ever mean, cranky or even territorial. She doesn't even try to build a nest. What she does do is constantly honk (it is very loud and quite annoying) and rub on her toys or her cage. All I have to do is walk in the room or even if she hears my voice she will start, it goes on forever! I see it getting worse every year and think she would be a good candidate for Lupron injections. She also lays eggs, a lot I think. She really doesn't lay them, she lets them drop from her perch. This behavior starts in Nov and doesn't let up until March/April and I think she laid about 8 eggs during those months. I try very hard to not set her up for theses hormonal times. I really can't touch her at all,(during the hormonal time) like I said she'll start honking just hearing my voice. I cut back on light and warm mushy food is limited. No scritiches, that part kills me! So that is what it is like with Bronson, I dread the winter months!
You have a male Pi who is super handsome I might add, don't know what it is like for them.......guess you'll have to let us know! :D

Dani

Avenue Veteran
Thanks! :heart:
And yes, she generally hides them under the bed or the couch. Just depends on how far she can drag whatever it is before getting bored with the idea. ;)
Way too FUNNY!! :lol:

Dani

Avenue Veteran
:) No recent photos of Sachi but here is one of the last videos. Oh.. and I think it's Pionus parrot hormone season around here.:eek: She's been making her crazy hormoney sounds and is more touchy feeley than usual.:o:

Saemma, you have the most beautiful WC girlie!! :heart: I will birdysit for you anytime or you could just send her to me for a loooooooooooong visit!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
No pics on this computer (still house sitting) but I have some vids.
Toady is still on medication for a possible yeast/bacteria infection. :(
They are both still here with me at her apartment. They are missing their bird room for sure. I have brought them back to visit several times and have had trouble collecting them to go back to the apartment each time. :lol:
Anyways, here are some recent videos.
A video from one of the visits at home. Toady's first time seeing his new java tree!
I have to get more videos of Kei. Here's the most recent I have of her (from MARCH! :eek:)
In my deffense, Kei is normally to busy to stay still long enough for a video. :p

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Angel's story
Angel had been owned by a member of the linnie forum I belong to and when I first laid eyes on her last year I had admired her from afar. She was just so beautiful and the stories of her sweetness made me want a BH Pionus of my own! So I lived vicariously through angel who lived in Florida with her family. earlier this year it came about that she needed a new home and although I really wanted to take her home I hesitated, thinking it was not the right time, plus she was in Florida and I in NY. So another forum member wanted her and just happened to be traveling to FL on vacation so could pick her up. Well that was that, I had lost out and was actually very upset and even cried over it. Silly I know, lol
A few months later the forum member who took Angel and happened to be in CT contacted me because Angel was not happy in her house and she knew how much I wanted her. this time I did not hesitate and drove the 2 hours to pick her up that weekend.

She has now been with me for 7 weeks!

Angel is beautiful, sweet, laid back, quiet, gentle, smart, silly, talkative (she says Hello, Angel, Pretty bird, Kirby, Peek aboo, & others I can not understand)
She loves her cage, will not leave it, only goes on top. Although once a day she will fly to me in the kitchen but then freaks out and wants to go back to her cage,
I always say silly girl, you came to me:lol:
She LOVES her scritches but only from her cage. If I would she would have me stand there for hours just rubbing her head. Everytime I walk by she puts her head down for some pets. She is definitely a perch potato and was that way at her original home but is starting to enjoy foot toys and balsa now so I am excited!!
She was not flighted at her previous homes for safety reasons so I am hoping being flighted here makes her more active and adventurous.

I just love her so much! She is such an easy parrot and joy to have. I can not wait to see what the future holds and how she blossoms once she is totally comfortable in my house!
fids_DSCF4183.jpg fids_DSCF4799.jpg fids_DSCF4877.jpg fids_DSCF4922.jpg
fids_DSCF3996.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I was short of time when I uploaded Andre's picture so did not include his story. I had a BH Pi female named Olivia. She died as a result of injuries from flying into a window. I missed her terribly. I missed having a pionus in the house, I missed my shower companion and I missed her sweet voice. I decided I would look into getting a BW Pi because I knew that another Pi would be different than Olivia so thought I would get a diffferent species. Well I found an ad on Hoobly for a 3 month old BH Pi. He looked so sweet I just couldn't help it I answered the ad (1/2 hour after it was posted). They responded back with a phone number, I called them and made an appointment to see him. As soon as I met him I knew he was the one. (I also found out he liked to go into the shower). I was right about no other Pi being like Olivia. Andre is even sweeter. He is a much better talker and much more active. Also he frequently goes on fly abouts in the bird room and most of the time he lands in the ficus tree.