• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pinchy Young Greenwing Macaw

pitman44

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve Scott
We have a female greenwing macaw who turned 1 year old July 2. We brought her home when she was about 5 months old. I finished hand feeding, but that was more for me than her. :) She's always been what I would call beaky. Not defensive, aggressive or lunging biting. Just kind of gnawing on you which with her beak can get to be a bit much at times.

I think there's been some improvement, but my wife's not so sure. Of course having arthritic knuckles may color her opinion.

Gema will grab on anything and pinch. I have lots of T-shirts with lots of holes now. lol She is a very sweet bird and this trait won't push her away from me. Just wondering if this is common among greenwings, I hadn't read anything about it, or just a behavior some macaws have that they grow out of.

We also have a harlequin macaw, Bala, and she's pinchy with him as well. When he's on her cage he seems to keep his beak between her beak and his toes. And when they're out together he preens her big time, but won't let her get near his neck or head. I think that's just self defense on his part.

Here's a shot of the two of them. 20140518_213208.jpg