• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pickles is not feeling real great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
I have a rescue senegal named pickles, that is an older bird. I noticed he didn't really seem up to par yesterday, but nothing to be alarmed about. This morning he seems kind of lathargic and not wanting to eat very much. His water bowl is not as full as it was last night, but I gave him some pedialite this morning just as a precautionary. Going to watch him closely throughout the day. He is a great bird that has been through so much. Please keep him in your thoughts.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Will do, Cindy. I know you're taking great care of the little guy! I pray he will be back to his old self real soon.:hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Cindy, hope your dear Sennie is feeling better soon. Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers his way. How old is he?

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Thank you very much! I love this little guy. I really don't know exactly how old he is, but I have had him 3 years, and the man I got him from had him about 8 years. He also rescued him. So we are just not sure. He's a sweetie tho.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is he eating, preening, perching and pooing okay? Don't wait too long if you sense something is off.

Ginger

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I've got him in the incubator and he is drinking and eating a little. He's more perkier then he was. I'm going to watch him for a little longer, then I might draw some blood and run a cbc and do an xray. But I will have to wait till my friend can get here to hold him while I draw it. I have been kind of paranoid after my friends bird died from chewing and ingesting parts of her rope perch. Pickles likes stringy, shreddie, stuff. I'll keep you posted. Thanks everyone.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, Wish I would have seen this post earlier in the day. How is Pickles doing? He is in good hands with you being an avian vet tech. I see you are going to do some blood work and x-ray. Did you notice anything in a wet mount or gram? You sound worried that he could have swallowed something. If he were mine and I suspected that I would certainly do as you are doing an xray but in the mean time I would give him some slippery elm to help a suspected object pass and soothe the GI tract, also to ease my mind. I was talking to a vet friend on the phone last week and mentioned slippery elm. The vet told me she has a pharmacist friend that also swears by it for both her birds and other animals.

Please keep us updated.

Mods if you see fit this could be moved to the 911 section with the Cindy's permission. I have been on all day and missed this thread.

gary

Last edited:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive vibes and healing thoughts for Pickles. :hug8:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Sending positive vibes for Pickles. I hope he feels better soon :hug8:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Thank you everyone. Pickles is much better this morning, but I'm going to keep in the incubator for today also. I drew blood yesterday and ran a cbc and also did an xray. The cbc showed a slightly high white count and xray was normal. I started him on baytril injections. I also did a gram stain which was normal. Since I am not positive about his age, even tho I know he is older, I didn't want to take a chance. Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and prayers. I believe he is on the mend. I was worried about him ingesting something, because he loves anything he can shred. He won't play with any other kind of toy. When my friends bird died from ingesting strings from his rope perch, I took all of the rope perches out of all the birds cages, and watch the boings very carefully, and Pickles loves his boing.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:sending healing pra yers nad positive thoughts for Pickles

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy to hear Pickles is starting to feel better. It definitely sounds as if he is in experienced hands with you.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Glad to hear he is feeling better. It is always so scary when one of them is not feeling well.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am sorry I missed this yesterday...but glad Pickles is doing better. Gosh, that is scary about the rope...I will have to keep a closer eye on mine.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Somehow I missed this post but I am glad to get on and see that your Pickles is doing better. It is always so stressful when our babies are not feeling well. Seems like you are doing a great job with him. Please keep us posted on how he is doing and I look forward to hearing more about this beautiful guy :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Cindy I'm so glad to hear Pickles is feeling better this morning!
It's really impressive you are able to do all this expert medical care yourself at home since you are a vet tech!! I would like to have your skills :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Pickles is lucky to have you for a parront!!

glad he is a little better today

keeping you both in my prayers and sending positive thought and healing energy your way

:hug8:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Thank you everyone!! Pickles is alot more active this afternoon. He's playing and perching. I'm feeling much better about his recovery now. I think I got it in time. Thank you all very much for the good wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.