• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picking at cage coating

TulsiVana

Meeting neighbors
Hi. I’ve noticed pieces of paint chips are missing off Tulsi’s cage and today I found her literally picking away it. I’m concerned about the whole metals/zinc toxicity issue. She has plenty of toys and training, and spends 90% of her day out of the cage. Is there a way to stop the picking at the coating?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could try to cover it, but I definitely would be shopping for a new cage.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You could try to cover it
Yes, a nice wall mounted toy would work.
Or even a piece of plexiglass with holes drilled into the corners and ziptied to the cage to keep it in place.

Ultimately the metals are a real risk, so I agree with Shawna, start looking for a new cage. Whatever you do to cover the chipping area will only be a temporary fix unfortunately.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Why cant you simply paint the chipped spots? There must have been chips or loose paint there all along to draw your birds attention to it. Once you clean up the spots and paint them, I highly doubt the bird will be drawn to those areas.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Why cant you simply paint the chipped spots? There must have been chips or loose paint there all along to draw your birds attention to it. Once you clean up the spots and paint them, I highly doubt the bird will be drawn to those areas.
Most "paint" on cages is not actually paint. It's powder coating. This is thicker than paint and less likely to chip than paint is.

Some birds learn that their beaks can tear into this powder coating. It becomes a toy to them.

Powder coating allows unsafe metals to be used for bird cages. The downside is that once it is remove, they are being exposed to these metals, and are at risk for heavy metal poisoning.

TulsiVana

Meeting neighbors
@Rebel It’s a 5mo old cage, brought brand new and there weren’t already missing coating because I checked it over before we made it her home.
Are there cages that don’t have that coating? It’s definitely that heavier powder coating I just called it paint. @Mizzely

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Rebel It’s a 5mo old cage, brought brand new and there weren’t already missing coating because I checked it over before we made it her home.
Are there cages that don’t have that coating? It’s definitely that heavier powder coating I just called it paint. @Mizzely
If you bought it brand new can’t you email company and see if they can get you a replacement or if they suggest anything ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you bought it brand new can’t you email company and see if they can get you a replacement or if they suggest anything ?
I agree. Call the people you bought the cage from, or directly to the manufacturer if the shop won't help. I would like to think they would send a replacement cage or refund if you can send pictures or videos that the cage is already damaged in such a short time.

Rebel

If birds call pick loose perfectly good paint, then how is calling the manufacturer for a replacement going to solve the problem?

Rebel

I never really looked closely at them but i have seen stainless steel cages available. Not sure if theyre painted or not. I can only imagine what a SS cage would cost.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If birds call pick loose perfectly good paint, then how is calling the manufacturer for a replacement going to solve the problem?
It could be a faulty batch where the coating is not right.
The seller may also be able to issue a refund so OP can buy a different cage.

Not sure if theyre painted or not.
No, those aren't painted. And yes, they're expensive.

Rebel

Yes it true, powder coating is much more durable the paint. However ,properly prepping the metal beforehand is key. Then theres the quality of the powder coating. Then theres their technique of applying the coating. Theres too many factors involved to just say powder coating is better or worse than paint. Cages, like alot of things from over seas , are made the cheapest and fastest way possible.
I doubt any bird could chew through proper powder coating.

TulsiVana

Meeting neighbors
I purchased the cage from Amazon so it’s unlikely HOWEVER it has happened for me in the past and for parrot items so I will be contacting them. Secondly, in the meantime, I’m attaching a photo of the plexiglass we cut today for overtop. This should work until I find a suitable resolution or replacement. Thank you for all the input @Mizzely @Zara @Rebel @Emma&pico

Attachments

Rebel

I purchased the cage from Amazon so it’s unlikely HOWEVER it has happened for me in the past and for parrot items so I will be contacting them. Secondly, in the meantime, I’m attaching a photo of the plexiglass we cut today for overtop. This should work until I find a suitable resolution or replacement. Thank you for all the input @Mizzely @Zara @Rebel @Emma&pico
Getting a closer look, thats hammered paint. Hammered paint is spray on textured paint to simulate hammered steel. I have a couple cages painted with that. I actually bought a can of it at walmart to touch up a couple rust spots on used cages i bought. That being said, no one picks at it.

Last edited: