• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pete is bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peteysmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Heather
I just cut his nails. I guess i got one a little too short. it's not really bad, but it is still bleeding. I tried the cayanne pepper paste, it was the first thought on my mind. I'm not sure i did it right. I had to use a q-tip cuz his toes are so small. are there any other ideas to stop it? he's acting fine, but there is still a tiny drop coming out ever so ofen. i'm worried. will it just clot and stop by itself????

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
the cayenne pepper should work - you may need to apply a little pressure to the tip for a couple of minutes (if he will let you)

I moved this to the 911 section - more folks will see it and be by to help you

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
Thanks for responding John. Cornstarch is on my next grocery list. Will flour work? I think I read that the other day. Should I wet it, or just let him walk around in it?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you can stand him in a little container of flour if he won't let you apply gentle pressure to the nail

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
Update: It seems to have stopped for now. Thanks so much for your help!!!! :) Pete looks like a little baker with his flour feet. :lol:

evsrin

Rollerblading along the road
I just checked on Pete again, and he seems fine :) Thanks again!!!!

Thank you for posting this, I just did the same thing and I feel so terrible. I had cornstarch out in a little muffin wrapper just in case... and was able to get it on the nail quickly. Now I'm just going to be a nervous wreck tonight, I hope he doesn't get it to start bleeding again. He's in his hut so I hope that will give his little footsie a rest so it can heal. :( Can anyone tell me how long until it's past the point of being able to bleed again? I was able to get it to stop pretty quickly but I'm so worried.

:sad6:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad to hear that he is doing better

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
Thank you for posting this, I just did the same thing and I feel so terrible. I had cornstarch out in a little muffin wrapper just in case... and was able to get it on the nail quickly. Now I'm just going to be a nervous wreck tonight, I hope he doesn't get it to start bleeding again. He's in his hut so I hope that will give his little footsie a rest so it can heal. :( Can anyone tell me how long until it's past the point of being able to bleed again? I was able to get it to stop pretty quickly but I'm so worried.

:sad6:
Erin, Pete never did bleed again. Just keep checking on yours for awhile. How far did you cut it? I didn't cut too much on Pete, but after I posted this, I realized I had cut too short on 1 toe on each foot! :( I did the pepper on the other foot, and he was still fine. Never bled again.
Please keep us posted on your baby! Good luck and well wishes from us... I know. It makes you feel soooo bad to cut too short. :(

CrashSmAshley

Real Name
Ashley
I would go to a pet store and invest in some stypic powder. It stops bleeding the quickest and keeps bacteria from entering the wound. It also keeps the quick pushed back a little so you have less of a chance of cutting it.

CrashSmAshley

Real Name
Ashley
Anytime! When Rally injured his wing and it was bleeding I put the stypic powder on it too and it worked wonders. Definitely a must have for all pet owners :p

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad he is ok...i dont like the idea of using stypic as it burns...however, a lot do..

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
When I clip nails I have a little bottle of quickstop from my bird first aid kit. I pour a portion on a paper towel and keep it handy if I should quick one of the little featherheads, I wet a finger and put it in the powder and then apply it to the nail with pressure repeating until it stops. You can use a q-tip as well. Glad he is doing OK now! I know it is really scary when they bleed!

evsrin

Erin, Pete never did bleed again. Just keep checking on yours for awhile. How far did you cut it? I didn't cut too much on Pete, but after I posted this, I realized I had cut too short on 1 toe on each foot! :( I did the pepper on the other foot, and he was still fine. Never bled again.
Please keep us posted on your baby! Good luck and well wishes from us... I know. It makes you feel soooo bad to cut too short. :(

I did get him pretty good, but I got it to stop quickly and he slept in his hut and hasn't bled again. He was wiggling so much! Thank you.:hug8:I have stypic but I'm glad I didn't use that because he cleaned his foot and I dont think that would be good for them to injest.

Last edited:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Yeah syptic powder is ok for toes but you don't want to apply it to a broken blood feather, it does burn and if it aggravates the feather it may cause them to try and stop the pain by damaging the feather even worse.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.