• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Food

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My grocery store is rationing pet food now and the sign says Manufacturers unable to produce pet foods fast enough for the demand. I buy from Chewy because they supply rescue organizations free of any charges. I bought enough cat food for Inky to last a while just in case. Do not know if this is bird food related or net.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I cannot buy canned cat food in town anymore (no pet stores, all grocery/farm supply stores). Everywhere is out of anything that is less than $1.50-$2 a can. I have been buying from Chewy or Petco's website.

I use canned dog food too as toppers and in Kongs and I can't find any of the stuff I feed in town either.

Kibble is a lot easier to find luckily, except my dog's food is usually only available in 15 lbs or less and I need 30-40 lbs to get through a month. Smaller bags are not cost effective for a 75 lb dog!

I have about 3-6 months stockpiled now due to Black Friday sales.

I haven't noticed the same issues with bird food yet.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm seeing shortages here as well locally so I stockpiled several months of dry dog food just to be on the safe side.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Wow guess I better go check the pet store here for Cat food. We usually buy a few months in advance so I haven't been in a while. :(

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
With the price of dog & especially catfood it's not a bad alternative to get human food.
I would get Dolly tunafish on sale as it was cheaper or same price as the canned cat food.
Dogs can eat chicken & rice in a pinch.

Just bought 8 bags of bird food from Chewy at a big discount so with what I have I should be good for about 6 months,

I was just thinking time to get more TP. I have some but its never a good idea to get too low in essentials as you can;t always depend on stock.

I have been having complaints about my vacancies not coming with refrigerator's. Seems there is a long wait to get appliances sometimes 6 weeks as they have been having trouble getting them in the docks.

People are also getting freezers & stocking up on food. They are also home more & not eating out so all the appliances are getting used overtime...

Just think if your refrigerator died & you could not replace it for 6 weeks?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I wonder if this is going to happen here too, I might just go buy some extra dog food this week just incase! My dog is rather weird with what she will accept to eat so I need to make sure she has biscuits/kibble at all times and being a large dog she goes through a fair whack of food in no time.

Hope you all manage to source enough of the pet food your pets are used to.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just put away my hoard of dog and cat food from Black Friday and should be set for awhile.

:scared5:

I go through 25 to 30 lbs of kibble for Luke a month, plus a can of wet.

Lydia gets either one 3oz can of wet and 1/8 cup of dry or two 3oz cans a day. I prefer feeding her all wet but add dry when my stash gets low.

So this is about 6 to 8 months of food for both of them.

I actually have always kept about 2 months on hand since once upon a time my cat Jasmine had to be on super expensive foods and I had to shop sales in order to feed her stuff that didn't make her lick her fur off. There was also a time I worried I wouldn't be able to feed my pets at all, so I keep enough on hand where the anxiety stays at bay.

So those things combined with the pandemic crap certainly has put me into overdrive.

Ripley has about 10 lbs of Zupreem and 5 lbs of nuts in the freezer so he is good too.

PXL_20211202_214610003.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow you have a pet food full pantry. Impressive. If you call Purina and ask a few questions about their foods, usually they will send you good coupons. I got 3 coupons for cases of wet cat food of my choice in their line.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow you have a pet food full pantry. Impressive. If you call Purina and ask a few questions about their foods, usually they will send you good coupons. I got 3 coupons for cases of wet cat food of my choice in their line.
That's good to know! I'll have to try that :)

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely
If you get in a pinch, please let me know. Having so many dogs in the hall of champions and being a breeder of merit, we get awards for dog food a lot. I donate literally tons of Pro Plan to people who can use it, and I know other breeders who win IAMS events regularly. So speak up if things get tight. I know the anxiety you speak of! image.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely
If you get in a pinch, please let me know. Having so many dogs in the hall of champions and being a breeder of merit, we get awards for dog food a lot. I donate literally tons of Pro Plan to people who can use it, and I know other breeders who win IAMS events regularly. So speak up if things get tight. I know the anxiety you speak of! View attachment 398426
Wow! That's so cool congrats on all your breeding and other successes. What breeds do you raise?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely
If you get in a pinch, please let me know. Having so many dogs in the hall of champions and being a breeder of merit, we get awards for dog food a lot. I donate literally tons of Pro Plan to people who can use it, and I know other breeders who win IAMS events regularly. So speak up if things get tight. I know the anxiety you speak of! View attachment 398426
Aww thank you!! :heart: Things have certainly been better the last few years, thankfully! It is just such a hard habit to break. :hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Mighty Labradork. :laugh::roflmao:
Best. Dog. Ever. But I may be biased.
Haha gotta love a Lab. My family used to breed AKC Shih-Tzu's when I was younger. Our personal girls were just pets but their fathers and mothers were champions and some of their children became champions.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I had a shih tzu who had a champion father. I saw her dad in the show ring on tv. She was a black face.
Don't recall what his name was. She was kept as a potential show dog but then sold as a young adult.

IMG_0388.JPG

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a shih tzu who had a champion father. I saw her dad in the show ring on tv. She was a black face.
Don't recall what his name was. She was kept as a potential show dog but then sold as a young adult.

View attachment 398429
Ooh she's beautiful! What was her name? :heart:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I saw her dad prancing around a westminister ring on tv. I had a copy on vhs. I guess I knew his name then but can't remember it now, He was in the show ring for almost 10 years if I recall which is long!
Her registered name was Kissel Acht Gluck or something like that...I forget.. She was the family.
My brother nicknamed her Hoogie & for some reason I can't remember what I called her. It was about 30 years ago & seems like a dream.
I used to take her for car rides & we'd go to Shea Stadium & walk around Flushing Meadow Park.

Another animal I never knew what became of when my parents left the country. My brother said she got out of the house once & disappeared. For some reason he was not fond of her. Maybe he was getting back at me. I hope she ran away & found a loving home.

This was Patina a shaded chinchilla..Also was my cat but gave her to Mom.. Eric loved her & took care of her after mom left the country. Eric took her with him when he died.
I never knew what became of her & I really did not want to know if it was sad.

Patina kitty.JPG

Now Dolly in Australia..my heart breaks...We became good friends..I fed her & changed her litter. Se doted on me.

20200626_193430 (2)dolly sleeeping by fire.jpg

It's not fair but things happen beyond our control.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Scary this world we live in. These things used to be fodder for apocalypses movies. Rationing, sickness & plague.
Where is Mad Max. I guess we got so used to having everything we needed. Then we are fighting over the last package of bread & stressing over toilet paper.

Can't even get an appointment to get labs that I need for a cat scan. My provider said it next avail appoint would be in February.
Luckily I am able to go directly to Quest Diagnosis & they gave me an appointment next week. Only took 3 1/2 hours on the phone to work that out!