• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Personal experience with antibiotics?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My vet and I are working on a stubborn bacterial infection in my birds

Baytril didn’t work. We are considering:

Neomycin, Gentamicin, Amoxicillin Ampicillin, Doxycycline, and Ciprofloxacin

My vet is consulting with her colleagues and ultimately I’ll go with her treatment plan, but I wanted to ask you all if you’d had any experience with these drugs. Owners know more sometimes bc we see results day in/day out and know our birds.

We are dealing with a stubborn micrococcus infection that’s making two of my babies pluck. Ekkie and GCC. Cockatiel asymptomatic.

They’re not visibly sick, but as their mom I know they’re a little off. Especially noticeable in my GCC but I’ve also had him 13 years so I see subtleties that I’m likely to miss in my other two.

If you’ve ever had to deal with micrococcus I’d appreciate it if you could share your experience with that too.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know about birds but I believe in people gentamicin, clindamycin, vancomycin are all used for micrococcus. So maybe ask your vet if they think gentamicin would be appropriate?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Amoxicillin seems to have helped. Now they're both molting so it's hard to tell. Bother are a little scruffy and itchy and maybe take a slightly longer afternoon nap, but it seems like standard molting bird stuff. Definitely Bender's norm, but I don't know what Cosmo's normal is yet.