• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

perfect birdie bread!

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i have finally perfected my birdie bread recipe. it has the perfect balance of nutrition and taste.

martha white orange cranberry muffin mix
large jar squash/zucchini baby food (for the Vit A)
1/3 c small pretty bird pellets ground to powder in coffee grinder
4 over ripe strawberries chopped fine
1/4 c slivered almonds crunched up a bit

sprinkle another small handful of slivered almonds over the top.

bake in a 13x9 glass pan so its spread VERY thin.

Marley, the captain of the anti-pellet brigade, LOVES it! :dance4:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Thanks Beth! I'm gonna make it this weekend....I'm sure E. will love...~~it sounds awesome and
nutritious.:)

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I'm going to make it too! Thanks!

Caledon

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I'm a birdie bread failure.

She turns her beak to it every time I offer it.

Your recepie sounds good and when I recover from my rejection, I may try it.:lol:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
It sounds delicious!! oh, it's for birds.:D

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
It sounds delicious!! oh, it's for birds.:D
funny you should say it like that... after all, there's nothing in there that would HURT a human... tho idk how palatable it would be. :huh:
but a girl i work with has a tiel. i will sometimes bring her lil treats i've made to offer to her lil guy. the last time i brought birdie bread we searched the community fridge... couldnt find it. :huh: just when i decided someone had decided to help themselves to the treat we found it hidden in a drawer. but everyone had a good laugh at the reaction of our company food thief stealing a nibble. :lol:

I'm a birdie bread failure.

She turns her beak to it every time I offer it.

Your recepie sounds good and when I recover from my rejection, I may try it.:lol:
i've found simpler is better. the more 'gourmet' i get with the bread, the less likely its to be accepted. i also found if i dont grind the pellets to powder, they end up being picked out! lil stinkers!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds good. I'll have to let my crazies here try it. As long as the budgies can bounce on it,we'll have a winner! :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I recommend you use your own flours, and sodium and aluminum free baking powder. The Martha white mix has proplyene glycol,Partially hydrogenated oil{really bad for you}Artificial colors,lots of sugar and salt.
http://www.marthawhite.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=291&prodID=785
Ingredients:

ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, DEXTROSE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OILS, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF YELLOW CORN FLOUR, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOESTERS, BAKING POWDER, (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SALT, EGGS WITH SODIUM SILICOALUMINATE ADDED AS ANTICAKING AGENT, CORN STARCH, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE, CITRIC ACID, POLYSORBATE 60, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, COLORED WITH (RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE AND BLUE 1 LAKE), CALCIUM SULFATE, NIACIN, IRON, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS), VITAMIN B6 HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, VITAMIN B12.

Last edited:

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
I dont know who Martha is (hahaha) but I know we dont have her muffin mixes here in Canada (or Ive never seen them).

So what could I substitute with? Im so not good at making up my own recipes :confused:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
I recommend you use your own flours, and sodium and aluminum free baking powder. The Martha white mix has proplyene glycol,Partially hydrogenated oil{really bad for you}Artificial colors,lots of sugar and salt.
oh my! :huh: doing that sounds waaay too difficult.... and expensive. it sucks to be poor. ;)
what's a few partially hydrogenated oils among friends? :rolleyes: there's alot to be said for clean living.... but the other way tastes better! :p

:hug8: but thanks for caring!

I dont know who Martha is (hahaha) but I know we dont have her muffin mixes here in Canada (or Ive never seen them).

So what could I substitute with? Im so not good at making up my own recipes :confused:
just about any commercial muffin mix in the baking aisle of your grocery store will work. the martha white mix only requires you add milk to the mix. instead of the milk i add the baby food. it works out well.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Think of how much more you can get out of a dozen eggs, a few lbs of flour, you can skip the baking powder, it will just be a bit heavier. Add a couple fresh veggies, and maybe a little nuts. Or if they liked the orange flavor of the other, buy one orange or a small container of good oj, add a banana maybe. The possibilities are endless. But at least you know you are not giving them all of those harmful ingredients. You are not doing them any favors giving them that stuff, honestly.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
Yea, I would never use a commercial muffin or cornbread mix - the amount of sodium is crazy. I just use whole wheat flour, a 5 lb. bag is only a few bucks and lasts awhile. Sure, I could use healthier flours, but I add in baby food and enough fruits and veggies, plus some spices, pellets, healthy seeds, etc. to make it healthy enough and my flock goes nuts for it.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

what's a few partially hydrogenated oils among friends? :rolleyes: .
Anyone who wants to be healthy, avoid strokes, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc., should avoid trans fats, this includes items we give our birds, dogs, etc. The same applies to them. Many processed foods contain partially hydrogenated oils...but not all! I have become an avid label reader.
some info on trans fats
Partially Hydrogenated Oils

How partially-hydrogenated oils and trans fats destroy your health