• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perch Wrap

Patsy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patsy
Hi, my cockatiel Harry is 17 years old and he mostly sits around or sleeping. Because of this he tends to get chaffed feet. (not bumblefoot). I have been using perch wraps for years and the only good one I found over the years(which is hard to find now) was a brand called Nextech. Not sure on spelling. I’m a senior too and the old memory challenges me sometimes. Anyway, my question is: I was wondering would it be best to take off the perch wraps and just use bare perches? It is difficult to come across the natural perches. I have dowel perches and rope perches at the moment. The dowel perches are the ones I wrapped. Thank you for any help. Patsy

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bare dowels are likely to cause further issues (including bumblefoot) as they are smooth all over and don't provide any relief on pressure points.

I use whatever brand BeMore has: Vet Wrap

You could wrap them in sisal rope?

Not sure where you are located but I do have several natural perches in my shop from 1/2" to 3/4" that are perfectly sized for cockatiels :) You might also have luck with some thicker perches (1" and above) if he has arthritis. Platform perches also may give some rest :)

I am currently on Christmas Break so not taking new orders right now, but Sarah has some of the thicker/platform perches.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
For keeping nails a little more dull I use cuttlebone perches. But most of my perches are natural wood to help their feet recieve enough variety. There are many bird stores that sell these online, you can also get branches from outside and disinfectant them. (Make sure the branches are safe for your bird). The sand paper will probably not help feet as they can cause irritation to the skin.