• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper the Disabled Budgie

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Pepper has some brain issues and small feet due to inbreeding (I think). His 'signals' from external stimuli don't get to his brain as quickly as other birds, so he'll often stumble or fall, especially in flight. I can't do a moving recall with him (he wouldn't process it quickly enough), and he has to have the same or similar setup all the time. I can't really change stuff up for him, because he flies without thinking (he memorizes where the perches are, because usually signals don't reach his brain quickly enough while he flies).

Has anyone else had this experience? He's had this issue since I got him at about 1 month old. He's doing really well, and I would bring him to the vet, but I already know it's not an illness, and the vet will stress him.

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
How do you know that your bird has some brain issues?? I think you should talk to a vet and if you think that it will stress the bird then just share some videos with vet to atleast get an idea of what's happening.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I actually have talked to vets about this, just never brought him in for that issue, only to get his poop checked (my current vet isn't very good with budgies, to say the least). I've had him for almost a year now, and I have a lot of prior experience with budgies, so I can tell he has a neurological issue. He isn't in pain or having trouble performing basic daily functions, it's just kind of a 'quirk' he has that makes things a bit more difficult for him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Perrsonally I think you should take him in and get him tested. It could be a deficiency of some kind, or some other medical problem.
How do you know he´s not in pain?
What makes you suspect inbreeding? Could be a nutrition deficiency in-egg, or an accident as a chick, or a genetic problem (not caused by inbreeding).

Too many questions without any solid answers. I think getting some tests ran might help you in your care for your bird going forward, remove some of the doubt and give you clarity.
Just my :2cents:

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Perrsonally I think you should take him in and get him tested. It could be a deficiency of some kind, or some other medical problem.
How do you know he´s not in pain?
What makes you suspect inbreeding? Could be a nutrition deficiency in-egg, or an accident as a chick, or a genetic problem (not caused by inbreeding).

Too many questions without any solid answers. I think getting some tests ran might help you in your care for your bird going forward, remove some of the doubt and give you clarity.
Just my :2cents:
I definitely will, if I can. Obviously that decision is up to my parents, and I have an RI circulating around my flock right now (which has required some expensive meds and vet visits). I do think there are many unanswered questions about him that I'd love to answer!