• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Penny is a Seed Junkie :O

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
*sigh*......

She eats all the AO stuff I give her, her warm meals, her bird bread for breakfast.....
...she's not huge on fresh veggies, shreds them but doesnt really consume them....
..worst! She is a total seed junkie! I keep giving her a bowl with Harrisons HP pellets, her Zupreem Fruit blend pellets, some of her seed mix from the breeders, and some of our Pacifc Shores seed mix from Doris. She has accessto this mixture at all times. Im hoping she will start eating my pellets/seed and I can phase out hers but I dont want to go too fast.
Im noticing she is eating all the seed mix - hers and mine, and NONE of the pellets, neither hers or mine. Its only about a total of 1 tablespoon per day combined, but still...NO pellets???

Should I be worried?
I think Im going to try soaking the pellets in pom juice like I did for Pru!

Last edited:

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
Keep working with her. You'll win her over, no worries.

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Soaking in juice is a good idea. I hope it works!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
If she was eating the pellets normally at the breeders she should of taken right to them, So that doesn't make any sense. Sounds more like she was offered them never ate them and only ate the seeds ,which means the breeder just states what she feeds and not what the birds actually eat :(, you're work is cut out for you :(

Hopefully she'll make the switch quickly and not be stubborn about it.

Treasurez

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl
If she was eating the pellets normally at the breeders she should of taken right to them, So that doesn't make any sense. Sounds more like she was offered them never ate them and only ate the seeds ,which means the breeder just states what she feeds and not what the birds actually eat :(, you're work is cut out for you :(

Hopefully she'll make the switch quickly and not be stubborn about it.

She was not offered seed until she was fledging, after her beak injury she did turn to seed more so but did continue to eat her pellets and she would dip them in her water prior to eating them.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Yeah, Im sure she ate them there, and she did the first day or so home before I introduced our stuff, LOL
I think maybe its because she is being overloaded with new choices. She has taken well to the Harrisons soaked in pom juice as of twenty mins ago.

We also tried a new exotic fruit, Persimmon. She went nuts for this :) First fresh food she showed much interest in.

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
Well, we all know seeds aren't as healthy. We all know parrots are like kids.

Kim, if I put ice cream, a chocolate bar and a stick of celery in front of your daughters when you weren't looking, what do you thin they'd pick?

Lol, it's just a matter of convincing Penny the healthy food isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.