• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
How many of you buy your food in large quantities? I have never done it, i usually get small bags from the pet shop. My cousin got a 20lb bag of pellets, I'm looking to get the 8lb depending on how long you think it will last..

It'd be for a single african grey. How much time am I looking at? How fast could she consume 8lbs of pellets? :huh:

Sailorkelly

Meeting neighbors
I am interested in this also. Koko likes a larger pellet than Abbey so I will be buying two separate sizes. I think a Jardine might eat the same amount as a Grey

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I buy all organics, so I buy them in as small quantities as I can get. I don't think I've ever bought more than a 3 pound bag... and that's because that was the smallest size. Usually it's always 1 pound bags. If you're buying a pellet that contains preservatives, however, I'd think it should last a good few months. Keep in mind that expiration dates are only valid for unsealed foods-- once you open the bag, the expiration date becomes much shorter. If you're concerned, you could separate an 8 pound bag into 7 pounds and 1 pound, and keep the 1 pound out for feeding and the other 7 in the freezer, and withdraw as you need them. How fast your Row will go through them will depend on how much of her diet you plan on making pellet-based :)

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I was planning on freezing it anyways :) just in case. they are always going to be offered to her as a dry food, but she'll be getting LOTS of fresh veggies and other foods daily :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I buy it in 40 pounds, was buying 20 pounds then they changed the packaging of Zupreem and there is no longer 20 pounds its 17.5 pounds so we just switched to the Breeder formula and get 40 pounds, ours is stored in air tight containers. and it lasts us a good bit

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I purchase Emma's Harrisons in 1lb bags. Would never purchase in 8lb bags. Emma eats about 5-6 Harrisons nuggets per day and the rest is mash, veggies, nuts, seeds and fruits....etc.. jmo

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've never bought big bags, only little bags. I don't go through that much because it's not a big (or main) part of their diet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My birds get pellets as a small part of their diet (20% pellets, 20% seed/nut, 50% fresh veggies/fruit/sprouts/mash and 10%birdie breads and healthy human foods) and I buy bulk pellets :)

So I guess it depends on how much you tend to feed in pelleted form. Will it be 50%, more or less?

Last edited:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Well, i dont know percents.. With my birds, they have a bowl of pellets all day in their cage, except for when they get other foods. A bowl of veggies in the morning, with some greens hung up. Then when i get home from work/school the veggies come out (or they come out earlier if i dont come home time, someone else will do it) they either get more fresh veggies, birdie bread, or pasta for supper. I'm going to be trying some mash and incorporating that, though, and my mom wants to try sprouts.

kali

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kelly
I bought a 10 kg bag and so far its lasted me 4 months, with maybe 2 months left for 4 birds!

Turned out to be really good value!

kali

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kelly
I bought a 10 kg bag and so far its lasted me 4 months, with maybe 2 months left for 4 birds!

Turned out to be really good value!

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I buy 5lb bags of Harrison's, one of coarse for Jasper and fine for the budgies, and then a 2lb bag each size of the Zupreem, mix large w/ large, small w/ small and store in the freezer until gone. I make sure to use it all by the earliest 'use by' on the bags but ignore the '6 weeks after opening' bit since I store it in the freezer rather than at room temp. One batch will last me three months or so, depending on how much fresh food they're eating.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My fids eat Zupreem Natural (I buy it in 20# bags). I get the cockatiel size pellets, (Sammy prefers that size rather than the larger size). Anyways, I always have pellets in their bowl, in the winter I feed them mainly birdy bread, bean mix, and pellets. In the summer when I have more access to greens from the yard I feed a lot less pellets during the summer. I keep my birds pellets in the birdroom refrigerator and I made extra bean mix a few weeks ago, kept a small portion of it for that week and put the rest in the freezer.

jinh

Walking the driveway
I bought a 17.5 lb bag for Jackson and it would usually last like 2-3 months. My vet said his diet should be 80% pellets just because the pellets are fortified with everything he needs. Jackson's tastes have changed a bit and he now eats more crazy corn/veggies/fruit. He doesn't touch the pellets much anymore, but I still leave a bowl for him everyday.

birdergirl

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
:huh: I'm very surprised that I don't see anyone mentioning vacuum sealers! I've had them for years and they are perfect for keeping pellets and dry mixes. I buy Keiki's pellets in 5lb bags, divide them into 1lbs, and vacuum seal 4 of them. EVERYTHING stays in the freezer, even the bag I'm using now. The fridge has too much moisture. The vacuum sealed bags keep anything in them much fresher and much longer.

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
i buy 2 1lb bags of Harrison's at a time and it lasts the three birds i feed it to 3 months

i buy 2 3lb sacks of zupreem naturals for the big birds and the bags lasts about 3 months also

the most recent bag of finch seed lasted 2.5 months with 3 finches...have 6 finches now so the seed will go a bit faster.

the small(0.875lb) bag of finch sized zupreem pellets has lasted almost two months now and still have alot left even with all 6 finches eating pellets now. glad i didn't get the 2lb bag...would take forever to use up the big of a bag.

all my pellets and seed mixes a kept in the freezer to keep them fresh and bug free.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I buy 5 pound bags, and freeze them.... I just take out the days pellets in the morning, put em in the bowl, and she can actually eat them just like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.