• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets and Sprouted seeds an okay diet?

Jogging around the block
I've heard a lot of bad things about 100% seed diets, which I'm quite sure are true. But recently I've also been hearing 100% pellets can cause liver/kidney failure? I've never heard anything bad about sprouts, but I don't know if they are a very complete diet..
I've been having my birds on 50/50 pellets and sprouted seed, also a lot of various veggies and some fruits, (some of which is just regular seed that is soaked since not all sprouts) , lovebirds , canaries, finches , budgies and diamond doves. I'd hate to be feeding the wrong diet to them.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
The only thing that I've heard (and experienced) regarding sprouts is that you have to be careful about bacteria/mold growth. Rinse them a lot (if they smell "off", or grow hair, throw them out). Store them in the fridge. Only sprout enough for about 3 days (and rinse them well everyday). I've been giving my birds sprouts for breakfast for 5 years....they love them! They also have pellets (Harrison's, Tropican). And they get veggies in the afternoon and a little fruit salad in the evening. It is good to give them a varied diet to cover the nutritional bases and to keep things interesting for them. I think your diet sounds fine. Other members will chime in soon.....