• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet recommendations

Rebo4432

Moving in
Real Name
Rebecca
Hi everyone. I have an African grey who is currently on a seed diet and I’ve been trying to get her onto pellets to no avail. I bought the Harrison’s brand pellets and tried to put a few in with the seed for a few weeks and when I changed her seed bowl the pellets are always still there. I was hoping for some advice on moving from seed to pellet & some success stories and also some pellet recommendations that I can get in the uk. Thanks in advance

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I didn't have luck with Harrisons, even with mine all being on pellets. RoudyBush goes over really well here though!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Harrison's was a hard sell for my seed eater. I have had excellent luck with converting birds with Zupreem Fruity. Most of them were then more open to Harrison's :)

Rebo4432

Moving in
Real Name
Rebecca
Harrison's was a hard sell for my seed eater. I have had excellent luck with converting birds with Zupreem Fruity. Most of them were then more open to Harrison's :)
Yes she just won’t touch it. I’ll definitely give this one a go thanks. I feel like she might react better to a fruity one.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Harrisons was one of the few pellets that my bird regularly ate around and left in the bowl so I stopped buying them which was nice for me given they were so darn expensive in comparison to all the other available pellets lol. He loved Roudybush pellets when I could get them but as it is not available here anymore I mainly just feed Vetafarm now and my guys are happy to eat it, one of my birds is approx 15-16years old and as far as I could gather had not ever eaten pellets but somehow survived on green peas and sunflower seeds- I placed a few pellets in his seed dish every day for a long time and just very very slowly increased the amount I added and I eventually discovered him searching through the seed looking for them so I offered a bowl with only pellets and he pigged out, I honestly think once he did try them he felt how much more energy they offered or something because he eats them rather happily now. I did serve a lot of pellets that got wasted over the year or so it took for him to finally decide to try them out of the seed mix but in my mind it was worth the loss and expense (the wild birds also loved it!) considering he literally only ate three things when I got him and did not recognise anything else I offered as food- he now eats a few different foods which is wonderful.

Rebo4432

Moving in
Real Name
Rebecca
Harrisons was one of the few pellets that my bird regularly ate around and left in the bowl so I stopped buying them which was nice for me given they were so darn expensive in comparison to all the other available pellets lol. He loved Roudybush pellets when I could get them but as it is not available here anymore I mainly just feed Vetafarm now and my guys are happy to eat it, one of my birds is approx 15-16years old and as far as I could gather had not ever eaten pellets but somehow survived on green peas and sunflower seeds- I placed a few pellets in his seed dish every day for a long time and just very very slowly increased the amount I added and I eventually discovered him searching through the seed looking for them so I offered a bowl with only pellets and he pigged out, I honestly think once he did try them he felt how much more energy they offered or something because he eats them rather happily now. I did serve a lot of pellets that got wasted over the year or so it took for him to finally decide to try them out of the seed mix but in my mind it was worth the loss and expense (the wild birds also loved it!) considering he literally only ate three things when I got him and did not recognise anything else I offered as food- he now eats a few different foods which is wonderful.
I think maybe because the Harrison’s are more on the plain side that she’s just not interested in them. I did have someone else recommend roudybush so I’ll definitely look into those thanks. It’s great to see someone’s successfully transitioned their parrot from seed to pellet. It’s definitely discouraging when she doesn’t even try one and they’re always still in the bowl. But I’ll keep up with it and hopefully one day she’ll surprise me

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's was on seeds only for 19 years before he came to me! So yeah it can be done :)

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
With my gray when I converted him, I had to pretend to eat a whole lot of pellets in front of him before he considered it. It was a long process but well worth it if you can manage it. Just remember that they will starve themselves so make sure she has access to food she will eat until she is fully eating the pellets. Good luck with the transition. We would also love to see pictures of your baby. (I have a very big soft spot for Grays)