• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet and young cockatiel diet advice?

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Okay, so while I’ve done my research, a bit of paranoia is started to set in for my bird, the closer I get to being able to take him home. I’m aware a bird does not live solely on a seed only diet and instead requires a variety of diet. Seeds are healthy but to an extent. What I’m afraid of is maybe accidently giving my bird too much of something cause of what’s in the pellets that I won’t know about?

The breeder I’m taking him from will have weaned him onto pellets and veggies by that time, but what I’m worried about is what other pellet types are out there? Does my bird need specific ones? Should I be checking to make sure the breeder is using the right ones? Is there some things I need to watch out for other than dyes?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I prefer to stay clear of pellets with sugars, too, but some people rave about that brand. I've used it before, did not care for it.

This thread is of a similar topic with advice in it, so without repeating everything in there, you may find the information beneficial. :)

Need opinions on pellets | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Your concern shows you will be an excellent parront. Diet is always going to be something you're thinking about...even after your new addition comes home. :)

When you get him home, you will be trying to replicate what he's been eating at the breeder, of course. When you take your bird to the vet for a check up (a must do ;)) talk to him/her about diet. Vets sometimes have different opinions on percentages of pellet to seed ratios, and will recommend to feed in that particular way.

Our AV has recommended a certain ratio of pellet/seed that we feed to our tiels...along with veggies, pasta/rice, etc...that's why I recommend you talk to your vet...they might have a different thought than mine about feeding.

General consensus at it comes to pellets is this: the best pellet is the one your bird will eat. :)
This is an essential truth...all of our birds eat the same brand of pellets...yes, it's the one with added sugars and artificial dyes...we have had good luck with it, so we'll continue with it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think any pellet from a reputable brand can hurt your bird. But balance is key. An all pellet diet is not good for a cockatiel (too hard on their kidneys), just as an all seed diet isn't good (hard on their liver). Opinions on "best" diet differ but I shoot for about 50% seeds, 15% pellets and rest vegetables, grains, etc. for cockatiels.