• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peeling Beak? (with photos)

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
I've been wondering for a while now why both my birds' beaks peel the way they do. I know some peeling is normal but sometimes it seems excessive to me. Is it normal or should it be more smooth in appearance?

1_001.JPG 1_002.jpg

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
Bird beaks are sort of like fingernails, they will slough off from time to time as they grow and so long as it isn't excessive and you don't see any other signs of illness, it's usually fine. It can also be caused by lots of things like vitamin deficiencies, infections, etc. If you're really worried, you can take them to the avian vet for a checkup, I've done that and never had them turn up a thing. Keep an eye on them, note changes in behavior, feed a high-quality diet and you're probably not having a problem. I don't see anything, just from the pictures, that would strike me as unusual.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I also have heard/read (for years) that sloughing of the beak is normal. It always bothered me though. I did some reading and decided to begin focusing on providing quality essential omega fatty acids (oils) for Coco. I chose hemp seed oil because of its ratio of omega fatty acids (3/6/9) and also give her small amounts of high quality nuts (specific nuts) which provide the essential omega fatty acids as well. It took very little amounts and very little time before her beak stopped sloughing. Now I just provide her with her high quality treat nuts (almonds, walnuts and pecans mostly), and occasionally put a few drops of the hemp seed oil in things such as birdie bread, or toss some in her rice and beans, or toss her veggies with a little. A little goes a long way. Below are before and after pictures. The 'before' beak flaking might not look that bad, but it was worse than that at other times. So for Coco at least, I feel it cannot be a coincidence that when I began focusing on getting her high quality omega fatty acids in proper proportions, the sloughing stopped. It might not apply to every bird, but for Coco if she does not have enough of the omegas her feet and beak will begin to show it immediately.

(Sorry, got the 'after' posted in front of the 'before' picture, and I don't know how to swap them around!)

Attachments

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Wow Robin, that's amazing.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Coco, can you share names/brands? That looks great!

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
I've been thinking of buying some red palm nut oil for the featherbutts, I wonder if that would help. They are happy and healthy otherwise, it's just the beak thing. Maybe it bothers me more because it looks frumpy.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wow! Coco's beak is beautiful!!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Robin Coco isn't shy about being captured on film, he is a very handsome birdy.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Beautiful birds. I don't want to sound like a commercial but have you tried Herb Salad?

Gary

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I have found red palm oil great as part of the main diet with my birds and it certainly helps maintain healthy beaks and feathers. good luck.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Would coconut oil also work for this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Would coconut oil also work for this?
I may be wrong, but I think the benefit of the RPO vs the coconut oil for the beak is the beta carotene