• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peach-faced vs. Black-masked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Some of you may be aware that I'm considering getting a female lovebird to even the numbers and give Finbar someone to hopefully buddy up with. I do realize it would be a bit of a gamble - getting a bird for a bird and all that - and I haven't completely made up my mind if I actually want to do it or not, but regardless:

I've long wanted a black-masked lovebird, but I recall reading somewhere that black-masked and peach-faced don't often get along. Is this true?
Do you think it would be a mistake for me to pursue a BM instead of a PF?

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I seem to remember reading somewhere about the Peach Faced being the ones easiest to tame for those people wanting a strong human/bird bond, but nothing about PF and BM not getting along. If all you're looking for is a match for Finbar, and not so much concerned about how cuddly your next Lovie will be with you, then I see nothing wrong with getting a BM, so long as there is a connection with Finbar. IMO, a younger bird would likely take to Finbar more easily than an older one who is already set in their ways. Good luck with your search. It's good that you're taking your time to contemplate all possibilities ;)

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Tameness is not an issue. So long as Finbar is happy, I'm happy.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
If you're looking for another Lovebird for yourself, then I'd get the Blackmasked you've been wanting.
If you're truly looking for a bird to bond with Finbar, and share his cage with him...then I'd go with another Peachfaced.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I have heard the rumors, but seen the opposite pairing (BM w/ PF) time and time again and it usually works out, it is less about the opposite species and more about if they will get along or not. granted if it was a younger pair the chances of them getting along are higher, but a gradual meet and greet would probably suffice.

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
I've seen plenty of peachies and masks getting along (there wouldnt been any hybrids otherwise) but I think you've got the best chance of a successful pairing with a female peachie. Give Finbar a treat from me :D

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
Isn't there also a size difference between the two? I had a BM and he was small, like 40 grams and I've seen some PF that were quite a bit bigger (like around 60). Granted the female might be a bit bossier no matter the size difference.

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
Ah ah..I would like to advise you to bring home a nigrigenis....
I adore them;
they are calmer than other lovies and they can be so sweet..
you have to try.. ;)
It's pity that we are so much far; I'm donating my nigrigenis because at the moment I'm very busy with job/family;
I would have been very content to donate to you one of my nigrigenis.. ;)
immagi54.jpg 093bab7223ed8c51d23ea4b7d71658c0_big.jpg

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Kiwi, my Peach Faced is about 8 years old and was hand fed and remained very bonded to me. Then we aquired a Fischers. He is in another cage a few inches away and since his arrival my Peach Faced has become very bonded to him even though there is no physical contact and she can be a little biting machine when she wants to. I am now second on her list. She loves him though and visa versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.