• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PBFD

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone
It's been a while since I posted something here.
Tweety (my IRN) will be around 2 years now and few months old , I've had him for 2 years
He's been doing OK with his feathers progress but last few months he lost so much, when I asked a vet he said it's possible that he has PBFD.
We don't have the blood test examination for this disease here. But the symptoms are obvious unfortunately
He lost his butt feathers, his wings and his body
Also the strange colour of his feather that I assumed were mutation are because of PBFD
I don't know what to do, I keep his diet as usual with supplements and as good as I can offer balanced foods
I'm just so dad and don't know what to do. Just seeing him like this makes feel guilty

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As I'm sure you are aware, there is no cure for PBFD. I really wish you cold have your bird tested, so you could be sure of the diagnosis. Is there a lab, out of country that you could send a sample to?

Here is a short primer on the disease;

How to care for a PBFD bird;
PBFD is a disease of parrot species and does not cross genetic barriers, so cannot be contracted by people. However, it is very easily spread between birds via feather dust and secretions, and very easily carried by people to other avian environments on clothing and shoes. Strict hygiene should be observed to prevent transmission to other birds, including rigorous washing and clothing changes. Treatment There is no specific treatment for PBFD – once the virus has obtained access to the cells in the body, there is no way of getting it back out again. Treatment is therefore not aimed at curing the bird, but at supporting it through any secondary infections. It is for this reason that PBFD is often referred to as the HIV of the avian world – it can remain dormant for long periods of time without causing any ill health, but causes a profound suppression of immunity once active. Treatments may include nutritional support, fluid therapy, antibiosis, and the use of pre-emptive vitamin, mineral and probiotic formulas. PBFD will eventually cause death through secondary infection and multiorgan failure in affected patients, but these birds may live for many years and be very happy birds, even if bald! The lifespan of these patients is reduced from the usual expected lifespan for that species, but the reduction depends on many factors and may be as little as ¼ of a normal lifespan. It is important to be well informed when living with these birds so that veterinary aid can be sought at the first sign that there is something wrong, but it is also important to remember that these birds are normal in all other ways and will still want to live life to the full at every opportunity!

You have all of my sympathy -I have a PDD bird.