• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PBFD Testing - Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
I was wondering if anyone here had members of their flock tested for PBFD and if yes, about what it ran you? I just had two budgies dumped on me and while based on their care I think the problem is seriously bad malnutrition of a hen with chicks & a growing chick, I want to rule out the disease. The birds are going to be very carefully QT'd obviously but because of the especially pernicious nature of the disease I want to get the bloodwork asap. I just need a ballpark from peoples' experience to start scuttling for $$ with since I can't get in touch with a vet today.

A little more about the birds, the mother bird is missing a ton of feathers on her chest and belly which according to the owner was because she pulls the feathers out to make a nest but I'm not sure I buy it. She also has some bad looking bites from other birds on her feet and chest. The baby bird has some feather loss at the shoulders that looks a bit bloody as from plucking or pecking. He also has bowed legs, inturned feet, and is a tad on the skinny side. So I'm leaning towards malnourished birds living in crowded conditions. But I really want the bloodwork either way.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't know what the tests will run you, but it sounds like those two have had a rough time of things already. I'm sure that they'll recover quickly in your care.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Just found out more info... apparently all they were eating was millet as 100% of their diet. I think that potentially sheds some light on why momma and baby are so unhealthy. God, people are infuriating.

Hopefully my vet will call me promptly in the AM so I can find out exactly what's wrong and how to fix it.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I go through Avian Biotech where you can actually do a 3 combo test for $55. You can choose to send in a swab, blood or both, and either way it cost the same. An individual test is even cheaper; about $25. Through a vet comprehensive testing is MUCH more expensive. It ran me about $250 to have a budgie tested for PBFD, Chlyamidia, and a few others. You can send for a free collection kits, and then send it back to them via USPS priority. All in all it takes about 2 weeks fromt he time you order the kit to the time they email results. Eventually a certificate will follow in snail mail.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I had my lovebird tested for PBFD through my CAV & it was about $50 if I remember correctly.

southernbirds

Yes, it would definitely quarantine big time with these birds. Start offering them good broccoli, calcium, good grade of seed. Also some mashed up nutraberries. It is hard with little budgies. Do they have mites? Are you comfortable with sending out the tests to a lab and do Vets honor the results. What is the experience from some of you?

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
The Avian Biotech lab gets vet business as well, so I have no problem sending out to them. You receive an official certificate that states the test results for each bird for proof of testing should you need it.

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I go through Avian Biotech where you can actually do a 3 combo test for $55. You can choose to send in a swab, blood or both, and either way it cost the same. An individual test is even cheaper; about $25. Through a vet comprehensive testing is MUCH more expensive. It ran me about $250 to have a budgie tested for PBFD, Chlyamidia, and a few others. You can send for a free collection kits, and then send it back to them via USPS priority. All in all it takes about 2 weeks fromt he time you order the kit to the time they email results. Eventually a certificate will follow in snail mail.
Yep about 260.00 here last week:eek: But I figured I would do it since I wanted baseline labs either way.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Thanks so much for all of the info. What I will probably do is see if my vet thinks there is a likelihood that this is PBFD. If it is, I'll get them tested right there on the spot. If she thinks it is unlikely, I'll send away for testing. I really hope that's not it, because I'd like them to survive if at all possible; I want a chance to show them a good life that they obviously haven't recieved to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.