• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parroylet hates vegetables and fruit!

tulumba

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hi all!
So I got my little parrotlwt untamed from a breeder 1 week ago tomorrow. He's beautiful and me and the kids and husband love him. He went out of his cage fir the first time yesterday and he got a bit stuck but with a bit of patience he let me help him and stroke him and carry him back to the cage.

Today he wouldn't let me near him again which is fine. I know it all takes time. Until the kids go back to school he will be shy with all the noise. He starting to recognise his name.

Anyway... that wasn't my question..
He doesn't like vegetables!! I have tried all sorts. He only really like cucumber and demolishes that and he will eat a bit of apple. But no other fruit or veg or greens! Is there anything I should be doing to encourage this? I have a new larger perch coming on Monday so will try a larger bowl. I have tried chopped and unchopped.

He didn't touch the peppers, green beans, broccoli, spinach, Parsley, strawberry, blueberries, nectarine, aubergine or banana

I tried giving one at a time. I tried mixing a few together. Just he likes seed, water and millet. But he's not crazy about the millet either!

I know he's small so maybe he just has a small appetite?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Oh yes. He is 15 weeks!

Thanks

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You keep offering :) Try different cuts or even large chunks!

My Quaker I got at 8 weeks old and it took him 6 months to eat veggies.

I got my Jardine's at 19 years and it took 3 years ;)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I agree - keep trying! I don't know how long it took for my guys to trust that I wasn't trying to poison them like Snow White with the apple, but they FINALLY got it! ;)

I got my Jardine's at 19 years and it took 3 years ;)
WOW! 3 years! Wow!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree - keep trying! I don't know how long it took for my guys to trust that I wasn't trying to poison them like Snow White with the apple, but they FINALLY got it! ;)

WOW! 3 years! Wow!!!
Yep lol. I did take breaks in there so didn't offer every single day, but I would say 80% of the time I was trying!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It took me over 3 months with my first cockatiel. Just keep trying. Different sizes. Different kinds. Cooked, raw, etc.