• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet with Preening Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olllie_the_QP

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
Hi all,

I currently have two birds - one Green QP who is 2.5 and one Parrotlet who is just shy of 16 weeks old.

He looked a bit rough when we picked him up from the breeder, but I figured it was just because he was young and going through a molt.

We've had him since he was 9 weeks and and it seems like he has never preened himself properly, and today we came home to find him looking disheveled and almost greasy.

He has access to water, egg food, and pellet food all day long, and access to seeds and millet if and when he chooses to come out. We offer him other foods like fruit, pasta etc. (my QP is a super crow who eats anything) but he never seems very interested in anything other than to take a bite and flick it.

He doesn't like to bathe, at all, so my BF gave him a bath last week but it didn't really help his feathers look any better.

Any ideas - is he sick, should I worry? He and my QP are in separate rooms and my QP has gorgeous feathers, and is an overall happy dude. The parrotlet seems happiest when I leave him alone.

Thoughts? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Would you mind telling us if you have a Normal color parrotlet or a color mutation?
There could be issues with the diet if you have a color mutation...:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would like to welcome you and invite you to introduce yourself
in welcome lane:hug8:

Status