• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parent-raised P-let?

Status
Not open for further replies.

citronlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hey there,

I'm having some troubles getting my Gidget to not be terrified of my hand. He flies all over the cage before he'll let my evil hand anywhere near him. He hasn't bit yet, but I don't seem to be making any progress... Ideas? I'd really like to let him fly around and get exercise!

BusterBlu

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carrie
I wouldn't try to handle him just yet make sure you blink alot if you look straight at him, let's him know your not a predator stalking him. Try sitting by his cage talking to him and just let him get calm having you close by. Is he flighted? You could leave his cage open and let him explore around it on his on. But if getting him back in is going to spook him don't rush it.

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
I wouldn't try to handle him just yet make sure you blink alot if you look straight at him, let's him know your not a predator stalking him. Try sitting by his cage talking to him and just let him get calm having you close by. Is he flighted? You could leave his cage open and let him explore around it on his on. But if getting him back in is going to spook him don't rush it.
Well I've had him for two months now... I spend lots of time just talking to him and whistling to him. Yes he is flighted, I don't really like clipping their wings unless they're horrible fliers :lol:
I have his cage open today but he hasn't flown out, oh well maybe he'll get brave

FreeByrd

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I have the same problem with Marley.......... and I've had her since July 1st. Her cage door is open most of the day and she rarely comes out to fly. She does come out now and then since I put the boing on the outside of her cage, but I have to put millet on the boing. :(

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
I have the same problem with Marley.......... and I've had her since July 1st. Her cage door is open most of the day and she rarely comes out to fly. She does come out now and then since I put the boing on the outside of her cage, but I have to put millet on the boing. :(
That's too bad :( We need some luck don't we! haha

BusterBlu

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carrie
I put perches on the outside of busters cage and he perches on them! Could try that with a bowl of seeds.

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
I've had Pepe for well over a year now...I don't know but I presume he's parent raised and he's not a fan of hands...but he LOVES the blinky game!

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
M'lady has a tiel that does NOT like hands. However he does enjoy coming out. Can you work with him on a perch for him to step up? Or perhaps offer your forearm or some other body part for him to step up on? For CJ she put a platform perch on the door of the cage so he could come out on his own terms or stand there to let us know when he wants out.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Have you tried getting him to step up onto a perch? My favorite perch for this lesson is a ladder. I think it provides more stability for the parrotlet. Anyway, you can try enticing him onto the ladder perch with a large spray of millet. Lay the millet across the bars of the ladder, so your hand is as far away from him as possible. Work in the cage for a few days, and don't worry about taking him out just yet.

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
M'lady has a tiel that does NOT like hands. However he does enjoy coming out. Can you work with him on a perch for him to step up? Or perhaps offer your forearm or some other body part for him to step up on? For CJ she put a platform perch on the door of the cage so he could come out on his own terms or stand there to let us know when he wants out.
It seems that the thing I haven't tried yet that's most likely to work is using a perch! The platform perch is a great idea too, I might get one this weekend and put a bit of millet on it :)

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
Have you tried getting him to step up onto a perch? My favorite perch for this lesson is a ladder. I think it provides more stability for the parrotlet. Anyway, you can try enticing him onto the ladder perch with a large spray of millet. Lay the millet across the bars of the ladder, so your hand is as far away from him as possible. Work in the cage for a few days, and don't worry about taking him out just yet.
That's a great idea :) I have a ladder at the bottom of his cage that he's otherwise not interested in, so I will try this :)

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
GREAT success guys! I held the sprig of millet in my hand, just outside his open cage door. He slowly moved his way to the door, and then started eating! This happened more than a couple of times, but one time he sat on my finger while he ate! :D Now i just have to devote about 30 mins of this every day and I'm sure he'll be at least tolerant of my hand in no time!

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
And today, he's flown the coop! I'm happy he's working his flying muscles and all, but he still doesn't like my hands... Still working out how I'll get him to go back in his cage... :lol:

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
AWW that's so good!
Pepe still hates hands and I can't touch him...but he's coming around to the idea slowly. But I let him out and he has a fly and causes mischief and goes home again for food...unless he's stolen from the budgies :p I think the longest he's been out was...6hours straight? :rofl: his big black eyes are just too darn cute

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
AWW that's so good!
Pepe still hates hands and I can't touch him...but he's coming around to the idea slowly. But I let him out and he has a fly and causes mischief and goes home again for food...unless he's stolen from the budgies :p I think the longest he's been out was...6hours straight? :rofl: his big black eyes are just too darn cute
Yes my little guy isn't so very good at flying yet. I'll keep an eye on him as I'm worried he won't figure out how to go back home for food! If that's the case I'll leave dishes on top of his cage :)
Yes, their whole demeanour is just too cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.