• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parent birds question

Auntiebird

Meeting neighbors
I have cockatiels with 2 two week old babies. Should the parents be let out of cage while they have babies?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't see why not. As long as you observe them going in and feeding their babies it should be fine.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they are tame pet birds, absolutely! They’re probably missing their out of cage fly time and routine what- nots.

But keep an eye on them. I’ve known parents to be ever on the hunt for nesting materials with babies in the box and out of cage time morphs into “stop trying to tear that up!” “Leave the curtains alone!” “No shredding carpet!” because the parents can’t stop the urge to gather.

Auntiebird

Meeting neighbors
If they are tame pet birds, absolutely! They’re probably missing their out of cage fly time and routine what- nots.

But keep an eye on them. I’ve known parents to be ever on the hunt for nesting materials with babies in the box and out of cage time morphs into “stop trying to tear that up!” “Leave the curtains alone!” “No shredding carpet!” because the parents can’t stop the urge to gather.
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, they are not tame.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, they are not tame.
Do they normally have out of cage time? Some non tame birds get fly time, and while they’re not hand tame, they’re tame enough to either stick step up or target back to their dishes so if the need arises to get them back in their cages it can be safely done.

I guess I would weigh the normal temperaments of the parents. You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you’re hand feeding babies if that wasn’t your plan or you don’t have the experience, etc. And you don’t want to resort to having to towel or net the parents if they have a history of not returning to the cage.

Auntiebird

Meeting neighbors
Do they normally have out of cage time? Some non tame birds get fly time, and while they’re not hand tame, they’re tame enough to either stick step up or target back to their dishes so if the need arises to get them back in their cages it can be safely done.

I guess I would weigh the normal temperaments of the parents. You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you’re hand feeding babies if that wasn’t your plan or you don’t have the experience, etc. And you don’t want to resort to having to towel or net the parents if they have a history of not returning to the cage.
Good point. Maybe I will just leave them in the cage. Their cage is definitely big enough to flap their wings for exercise, and though, I have done it, I don’t want to hand feed.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just provide plenty of enrichment inside the cage. Shredding opportunities, foraging, etc. provide them a dish for bathing if they usually like to bathe that way, etc.

Auntiebird

Meeting neighbors
Just provide plenty of enrichment inside the cage. Shredding opportunities, foraging, etc. provide them a dish for bathing if they usually like to bathe that way, etc.
Thanks. I do have these things in their cage, so they are happy enough. I was just feeling guilty for not letting them out.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. I do have these things in their cage, so they are happy enough. I was just feeling guilty for not letting them out.
Little buggers do make us feel guilty, don’t they?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is not their first clutch this year is it?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
¨Tame¨ness doesn´t really matter. Hens with chicks in the nest will likely not even want to leave the cage if the door is left open, or at a push do one lap before returning. The males might stay out a little more but ultimately return somewhat soonish (compared to when there are no chicks and no box).

I liked to offer some flight time to my birds when they had chicks - it´s nice to get out of the box and have a good stretch.

Auntiebird

Meeting neighbors
¨Tame¨ness doesn´t really matter. Hens with chicks in the nest will likely not even want to leave the cage if the door is left open, or at a push do one lap before returning. The males might stay out a little more but ultimately return somewhat soonish (compared to when there are no chicks and no box).

I liked to offer some flight time to my birds when they had chicks - it´s nice to get out of the box and have a good stretch.
That is kind of what I thought, and what I found. One of my babies looks to be a whiteface. Do you know anything about ‘‘tis mutation?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Auntiebird

Meeting neighbors
@Monica and @Tiel Feathers may be able to help you with mutation questions

Oh? That´s a shame. They look very content on your arm in your profile picture.
Actually, those are my other two cockatiels. My original two. I have (including the babies) six altogether and will cut down to 4 when the parents are rehomed.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Whiteface is just a normal grey lacking yellow.

Anything in particular you want to know?