• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

parakeet pricing/ noise

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
Does anyone no the prices and noise levels for the following few birds

Plum headed parakeet
Lineolated parakeet
Grey cheek parakeet
Rosella
Bourke parakeet
Canary
Dove

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's going to depend greatly on a few things:

Where in the World/Region of the country you are
Are you willing to have the bird shipped?
Are you buying from a breeder, a store, or getting a rescue/rehome?

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I live in the U.S. and I'm buying from a breeder.

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I know doves are not terribly expensive but can they get loud same with canary. And can you hold and play with them

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I live in US and am buying from a breeder. I know that Canarys and doves aren't loud or expensive but will they play with you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What area of the US? Because what is cheap in Florida, for instance, isn't cheap in the Midwest where I am.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anything can be loud if you have a noise or pitch sensitivity. It's also VERY individual, what I consider pleasant chatter from my Greys others may consider loud obnoxious noise.
Your best bet would be to meet individual species and see how you tolerate the noise level. If you can't do that, there's always Youtube videos.

meandmyfids

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
jay
I have a plum head male he talks and can be noisey at times he is not a cudle bug bird but he is handsome

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
Youtube is a thought and you have great looking senegal in the picture! I've always wanted a senegal.

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
Rosey bourkes are quiet, cute, can be held and shouldn't be very expensive

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is yoir definition of expensive? That's very subjective. What price range are you looking for?

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I'm doing anything quiet under about $200-$250 and that includes the cage and toys.

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I'm most likely going to get a parakeet of some sort now that I've thought about it or possibly a lovebirds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah a bird cage is going to run you $80 to $100. Toys and perches another $50. So that leaves you with $100 for your bird. That's basically budgies, cockatiel or a lovie.

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I will be getting a cage from craigslist.com so the cage will cost at least $15.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
I dont find Bourke's particularly playful but it depends on the bird itself and its personality. I have a parrotlet that has very little interest in playing, he's more an observer. My birds cages were about $200 (the conure cage was more) make sure what your getting on Craigslist is the proper size and not a tiny pet store garbage cage. It should be a flight cage. Proper perches (not dowel) can cost around $10 each and you will need to purchase good food (pellets etc)

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Don't forget vet care! Even if the bird isn't taken when you first get it, always keep in mind they can get sick or injured and will need to see an avian vet. I think I remember seeing another post you made about other birds being in the house. If that is the case, the new one really needs to be checked out at the vet and go through quarantine! A thorough vet visit is usually around $300. Most of the time that is not including disease testing.

I have gotten some great deals on cages on CL. Make sure the powder coating is in good condition and that there is no rust. When you get it, get a bleach/water mix and rinse very well, over and over, and then some more just in case. Let it dry in the sun. Just wondering, the cages I have seen on CL for $15 are the very tiny cages that aren't fit for any bird! Get the biggest cage you can while considering cage bar spacing for the safety of your new bird.

Most importantly, don't have expectations of your new bird. If you are looking for specific qualities then check out bird rescues. Even then, you still can't be sure what the bird will become like once in your care. Remember birds go through hormones too... smaller birds usually change sometime between 6 months and 1 year old. Babies are sweet, then hormones hit. They all change on some level, not necessarily in a bad way. Don't let a breeder tell you otherwise.